Taurus 444 Ultralite and/or Tracker Model 44

Para Bellum

Hi Folks,

do any of you have personal experience or something to say about the following two? I consider them as a sidearm for hog hunting.
Both are 4" .44 Mag. One has a 5-shot drum and the other a 6-shot drum.

5-Shot Taurus Tracker Model 44
Spec Sheed PDF: http://www.taurususa.com/pdf.cfm?id=226

44TRACKER.jpg

6-Shot Taurus 444 Ultralite
Spec Sheed PDF: http://www.taurususa.com/pdf.cfm?id=204
444MULTI.jpg

rodwhaincamo

I own the Tracker 44 Mag. After getting home and reading the manual I found that you cannot use any hotter loads. After really looking closely I can see that the barrel isn't straight, and the cylinder is canted downward. The trigger isn't great, but that can fixed easily. It also hung up repeatedly when using Blazer 44 Spls.
On the flip side: Recoil with standard mags is very manageable considering it only weighs 34 oz. The finish is good, and the grips are great.
Were I to do it over again I'd have saved a few more pennies and looked harder for a used Redhawk.

Para Bellum

I own the Tracker 44 Mag. After getting home and reading the manual I found that you cannot use any hotter loads. After really looking closely I can see that the barrel isn't straight, and the cylinder is canted downward. The trigger isn't great, but that can fixed easily. It also hung up repeatedly when using Blazer 44 Spls.
In other words: A piece of junk? :barf:

...(edit): But Jeff Quinn at http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Tracker44.htm has a different opinion:

The Taurus .44 Magnum Tracker is a good, solid revolver that would make a great trail gun where power and compact size are important. It has the power to defend one’s life from harm, to collect game for the stew pot, and is a fun plinker or informal target gun. It is also small enough and reasonably light enough to ride comfortably in a belt holster or on a pack frame.

Last edited:

Newton24b

the 44 mag tracker is designed to use standard length cartridges. as a result if you want to use the big 300gr+ bullets, youll have to load them very deep into the case and to very low pressure to avoid creating a handgrenade.

the 444 ultralight however is build on the standard ragging bull frame, and although its in lightweight alloys, it can chamber and safely use the long bullets ie the 325 grain loads from buffalo bore, etc.
youll get lots of extra recoil to deal with. rumor says those loads really make the fired cases stick in the chambers.

N.H. Yankee

I haven'towned a Tracker in 44 but have 2 in 41 magnum and the the ported 4 inch has many rounds through it has been 100% reliable and is very accurate. The 3 inch model I use for carry once in a while and only has about 500 rounds but has been 100% also. Both of these guns are a few years old, maybe QC has gone downhill?

rickyjames

interesting stuff. i have a steel 4" taurus mod 44 in 44 mag that i like very much. it is as accurate as my longer barreled ruger redhawk in 44 mag and more pleasant to shoot due to the rubber grips and the ported barrel. i'm sure the lighter models are more punishing to shoot. my taurus makes a good trail gun, better than the ruger because of its size. i have never shot the lighter models or the heavier raging bull.