Taurus 44 vs. Ruger RH-445

Bacchus

I'm looking for a revolver in 44 magnum. Any thoughts on one of these over the other?

Taurus: 44B4 4" Blue Solid Rib Barrel, Ported $500.00
Ruger: Redhawk RH-445 .44 Mag B 5 1/2" 11" 49 oz 560.00

Taurus has adjustable sights, but what about the Redhawk?
Any thoughts on the wooden grips on the Ruger vs. the rubber ones on the Taurus?

Finally, recoil from a 4 inch 44? How manageable?

Thanks.

dairycreek

I've just faced the same decision

and, for me, it was the Redhawk all the way. I have shot .44 mag in 3" and 4" barrels and recoil was not a real problem. As a matter of course I change all my revolver grips to the Hogue monogrips and it is very comfortable. It is my believe that the Ruger is a much stronger gun than the Taurus and, from time to time, I do shoot some fairly hot handloads. Mind you, I am not shooting loads that are, in any way, unsafe and they perform well in the Ruger. I would not shoot the same loads in the Taurus. I have owned several Taurus revolvers and have found them to be satisfactory weapons. I do, however, have much more confidence in the strength and durability of the Ruger. So, that's what I bought. I don't know where you are from but I paid $429.00 NIB for the Redhawk here in northwestern Oregon. Good shooting!

J. Parker

I've owned two Taurus M44's. One blued and one stainless both with 4" barrels. I packed them in the woods quite a bit. With the porting and the rubber grip that covers the backstrap the recoil is probably about the same as a 49oz. Ruger Redhawk. I like the Ruger but in a strong side holster a 4" barrel is better for me. The sum of $500 seems a bit high but then again it all depends on location, location, location. Good Luck, J. Parker

justinr1

Unfortunately, you did not tell us what you planned on using the 44 mag for. If you plan on carrying the piece in the woods for bear attack, then the Taurus might be the way to go. If for any other reason, you will enjoy the RH far more. The RH is the better gun, on that there is no question.

justinr1