Taurus 44 Magnum Advice

Bucksnort1

I have a Taurus 44 magnum Tracker with two problems. First, the cylinder will not lock in place. It seems Keybear had a similar problem with his Ruger. Second, the hammer will only move about 1/2 inch whether pulled or activated by the trigger.

Taurus has a lifetime warranty on their firearms. They have strict control on pieces parts for repairs and who has access to them; therefore gun smiths cannot get them. I decided to send the 44 to Taurus. United Parcel Service will only send guns to manufacturers by way of next day delivery which, in this case, is almost $100.

I have two questions.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problems are?

If I sell the gun, as is, what would be a good asking price?

KEYBEAR

If Taurus Will not sell a Gunsmith or You parts you have to send it to them .
I my case the cylinder Latch would not fall (only with the loading gate) but not with the Hammer .
Really have no idea how the Taurus works ?

Slamfire

I recommend you call Taurus before shipping and determine if they can send you a shipping label. I found that both Ruger and S&W have agreements with shipping companies which, if they send you a shipping label, you can get shipping at a reduced rate. Both of these companies emailed me a shipping label which I printed out and pasted on my pistol box. I carried the box to Fed Ex and did pay for shipment, but it was something like $40.00 to Ruger, instead of the $100 that Fed Ex normally charges.

http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy-use.cfm

Using our Repair Policy is as simple as we can make it. Simply print out and complete the work order and follow the shipping directions in this section. If you have any questions, please contact our customer service at

305-624-1115 or fax at (305) 624-1126.

http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy-shipping.cfm

Bucksnort1

Slamfire and others,

Taurus will send a UPS label and charge me $50 for it. It beats the $91 I would pay for overnight to Taurus. The prudent thing to do is to bite the bullet and pay the $50. It would cost several hundred dollars to replace the gun.

A local gun store would not ship because they do not want to be in the middle of all this, especially if the gun is lost or stolen in shipment.

Bucksnort1

THEWELSHM,

Excellent. That's what I will do. The only problem with this is I have all the reloading components for the 44 mag. They would be harder to sell than the gun.

The problem with selling in current condition is someone would get an inexpensive gun, pay the $50 then have a new handgun for far less than a new one of the same type would cost.

Thanks.

Snyper

The only problem with this is I have all the reloading components for the 44 mag. They would be harder to sell than the gun.
Buy another 44.

An FFL can ship that handgun by USPS cheaper than UPS so you may want to explore that option.