Taurus .410/.45lc revolver, any good?

Mikeyboy

I seen a used Taurus .410/45lc revolver with a 3" barrel in my local shop. It is just facinating to me, a revolver shotgun. Anyone got one? How is the recoil on these things when shooting .410?? Is it worse or better than a .38 Snubbie? Are they reliability? Can you load and shoot both .410 & .45 in the same cylinder. Seems like a great home defense weapon. Maybe start with a heavy .410 bird shot, then a buckshot, then 3 .45lc.

The Real Wyatt

I have one with a 7.5" bbl. It is, in my estimation, an excellent home defense gun. Yes you can shoot both .45 Colt and .410 bore in any/all chambers.

I'd forget about the birdshot, it's totally ineffective out of this gun. Go with 00 Buckshot. Do not Shoot Selier & Belot shotshells in the gun as they will cause it to lock up.

The gun is fairly accurate for a dual purpose gun. I shoot 2" groups at 25 yards from a rest with .45 Colt handloads at about 990 fps. I can't say anything about long-term reliability as I've only put about a thousand rounds thru mine so far. The only problem I experienced was with the above mentioned shotshells. This is a really FUN gun to shoot and is now my regular woods bumming gun ... that is when the wife will let me have it. She liked it so much that she laid claim to it. It now spends most of its time on her bedside table with all 5 chambers loaded with 00 BUckshot.

Mikeyboy

So your wife likes it? The only experience I have with .410 is with a regular 24" single shot shotgun and with that the recoil is mild. My wife hates shooting +P .38 out of my snubbie, if the recoil is lighter than that , I might have a selling point for my wife to buy the thing ;)