Taurus .38sp Ultralite Titanium price check

Dr. Dave

I've found an excellent condition UL Ti Taurus on consignment in a local shop for 249. Is this a good price? How durable are these guns compared to a first production run model 36 smith? Will the gun shoot loose fast?

On a similar note, what kind of trade value should I ask for a 98% early model 36 or a 99% 3" adj site model 60 38sp with original box and papers? I might try to trade for a new centennial or this nice 617 they have (I'm not dumb enough to trade a smith for a taurus).

Thanks

Lightsped

I was looking at a Police Model Ultralite the other day and it was 429.00. I bought my Total Titanium model 85 for 450.00 and my Stainless model 85 for 275.00.

Point is, if the gun you are looking at is indeed in good condition, than I would go for it for 249.00. My two Model 85s have functioned perfectly so far. Fit and finish is great on them as well.....

my2taurus85s.jpg

Dr. Dave

looked good to me

the gun looked like it had seen one range session before being sold. The chambers were still dirty, which was a good sign I guess as I rather clean it myself than have some moron ruin the chambers with a metal brush. Other than the dirty bore it looked new.

What is a realistic shop price for one new? I bought a new condition 686-2 2.5" with finger-gripped factory presentation grips at this shop for 295 a few months back.

thanks

Lightsped

I'd say between 400-450 is the price you will pay for a new UltraLight Titanium. It would depend on the dealer, location, and what finish the gun has.

How does a metal brush ruin the chambers? I have been using a 38 special sized bore brush that comes with the Hopes cleaning kit. The chambers in my 38s look fine to me, but maybe I am missing something?

Dr. Dave

coating

there is supposed to be some kind of coating that protects the Ti. I've read this in several places, and it is supposedy why you are not supposed to shoot unjacketed ammo in them. If you scratch the coating the Ti will wear much faster than normal. I imagine that they were thinking of stainless brushes, since I can't imagine a bronze brush being worse than a bullet jacket at high speed.

P

PreserveFreedom

For $249, jump on it! I wish I could find one for that much around here.