Taurus 1911 looks good, any experiece/ideas?

Para Bellum

I'm a Glock 9mm type of guy and might get a 1911 single-stack .45 for bowling pin shootin'.

I found these on the taurus-page (pics below). Seem good to me. I am looking for tough and reliable guns, no STI IPSC Racegun....

1911B1.jpg

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=59&category=Pistol

they make'em in blue steel, stainless, with picantinny rail, without....

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet, but I've sold two or three
from our shop. They look good, and are priced right at $459.88; but I dont
know if I could get use to those Henie "straight 8" sights? I'm use to Novaks
or other three dot sighting systems, as found on my Springfield MIL SPEC,
Smith & Wesson 1911, and Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special~!:cool: :D

BUSTER51

Never shot one but,the Springfield and the Smith&Wesson always get great reviews. I'm a Colt freak and a'm glad I got mine (Gold Cup)26 years ago it has been great no problems of any kind .never been a fan of Taurus .

Ralph2

There should be some talk of this in some threads from a couple weeks back. It has popped up in some magazines with favorable copy. I picked one up a few weeks ago and I can repeat the favorable press it has received. Mine is very accurate especially at the range I have been shooting it at (21 feet). It has a lot of "add ons" that would cost you extra to add on to a bare bones unit and is a bargain at the $499 street price locally here.

Dj Dust

My boy has one and I have shot it alot. Don't waste your money. if you are a glock person like myself you will be very dissapointed. It has the longest trigger pull i have ever felt and the sighting SUCKS always shoots low.

AirForceShooter

So far every user review I have seen is favorable.
I got a chance to fondle one and I have 2 comments.
The grips could be used as 20 grit sandpaper. They gotta be replaced and I hate the 8 ball sights.

I'm not buying one. I love my springer.

AFS

Desert Heat

I was thinking about getting one too, but I can't fight out what lb. the trigger is. IF it is 4 or 5, then I'd get one, but anything higher than that and I would have to pass.

KRoyal

Haha i just posted up the SS in one of the 1911 forums and got laughed out of there becuase it was a taurus. I've been waiting for this gem to come out for a while now. Sux that the Stainless steel isn't out yet.

Dreadnought

It is my favorite gun. Only weakness is the finish, but you really need to try it out before you buy it. Some are put together like Kimbers and Baers (like mine) while some are not so great, the greatest variability being the trigger pull. Mine is about 4-5 lbf. and very short, crisp. I've had a few 1911 guys try it out and agree that you get a lot of gun for the money with a PT1911.
The stainless and railed versions are not yet out (won't be for a while) and the blued are very hard to come by.

kansas45

I kinda' quit counting but around 3000 rounds have gone through my PT1911 since the middle of August. I couldn't be happier with the way it works. Taurus did a very fine job on this pistol & I cant find any reason to spend any more money to change it. The trigger pull on mine was 7lbs from the factory & fairley crisp. My gunsmith tuned the pull to 4lbs & made it even more crisp. I also instaled Houge Palm Swell grips & tossed the plastic factory one's. This is one great pistol!:D

Troy26

Am I the only one that's turned off by the gaudy way Taurus stamps the model info on teh slide of their guns? It just doesn't blend with the rest of the gun at all...nothing against this particular gun...I think just about all of them look that way.

SPFLD45

Spend A Little More Money And Get A Springfield / Colt / Kimber / S&w Or If You Have A Good Budget A Wilson Or Ed Brown
You Will Not Regret It .

cedjunior

They're coming out with a "commander" size model.

They are scarce around here. I only found one shop that had them and he wanted $570+ tax for the gun. I did handle it though, tried out the trigger and looked at the internals. Although it was the first time I've ever handled an 1911 before, and being used to my HK USP trigger, when I pulled the trigger and the hammer dropped on the PT1911 I wasn't expecting it, thats how light the trigger was and how short the pull was.

Edit: also, if I find for for around $450, I'm buying it!

postal1911

hope there metal and fit is better than there other stuff
never been a taurus fan myself.... springfield GI would be my choice at this price

Hawkman

A week and a half ago I bought a Kimber Eclipse Pro II for $1,000. I have 500 rounds of ball ammo through it and I STILL get an occasional stovepipe or misfeed.

On the other hand, I bought a Taurus PT1911 for $469 and wrung it out good today with 300 flawless rounds as fast as I could load the mags. Same ammo I am using to break in the VERY EXPENSIVE Kimber. Oh - and the accuracy is just as good.

Go figure.