trigger was acceptable
didnt like some things:
grips were the really thin grips
and they were plastic....not good... no cheap plastic
didnt like the 2 dot sights, black on black woulda been better than that

all in all i would get the springfield SS WW2 over this pistol
but it wasnt as bad as the other taurus products ive messed with

XD45ACP

you cant down talk it till you shoot it. the straight 8 sights are proven to be quicker than standard 3 dot sights. the guns feels smooth.like a custom 1911. i read nothing but good reviews on it. i have one on layaway at a local gun shop. i cant wait to get it out i was lucky, i grabed the last one. the shop owner told me he sells them as soon as they get them.

Pucker

Me and several others were talked out of buying their 1911s due to the parts being proprietary. So no widespread parts availability. (But I'm not sure which ones exactly)

jlh26oo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got my 1st look at taurus's 1911, this was the matt finish 1911 45
the pistol has some good qualities;
good price
good finish
trigger was acceptable
didnt like some things:
grips were the really thin grips
and they were plastic....not good... no cheap plastic
didnt like the 2 dot sights, black on black woulda been better than that

all in all i would get the springfield SS WW2 over this pistol
but it wasnt as bad as the other taurus products ive messed with

Good news is the stuff you don't like about it can be replaced, though only thing I'd replace are the grips (not down w/Henies?).

Read that someone just picked one u[p in ss for $450 (of course this was reported on the interweb).

Unless someone just hated taurus for some reason (not that there's anything wrong with that), that's a LOT of gun for the money. How much were they asking for the one you saw?

jlh26oo

So aftermarket 1911 parts will all fit into a Taurus 1911?
Yeah, I mean I wouldn't get TOO carried away or anything, or else you are spending money in defeating the whole point of the pt1911 (the bang for buck value). But if grips were the only thing I didn't like about it, I'd not let that stop me.

If SIGHTS otoh were the problem, and there were sights I preferred to henies(even if cheaper) on another similarly priced package, of course that'd be your best bet as postal pointed out is for him.

King_chin0

Taurus has been increasing in reliability over the years, I have only owned one Taurus, and it was flawless. It was a .357mag revolver, and I loved that thing. Back on topic, for the price you pay for the Taurus PT1911, you are getting quite a bit for the price. Most 1911 with the features on the PT1911 is at the range of $800-up

If I have the extra cash I would've bought one, but now I'm just thinking about how much things I want to do to my Series 80 to make it a one of a kind:D

Ralph2

I like the Heine Straight Eight concept. Glock's ball in a bucket and Sig's white line/dot combo. I have a couple guns with all black sights and find it very hard to get a sight picture. Same with some night sights with tiny dots. A black sharpie can cure the white dots. White out can cure dull white dots.

Why is White out still made? How many typewriters are still in service? I guess the product has expanded beyond it's original intent. I had to take it away from people at work because I got tired of scraping it off the monitors. :D

Edit: I do own a PT1911 and outside of the plastic grips won't change anything.

Last edited:

schmeky

Ralph2,

I have used white-out on my computer monitor at work for years with great results. When I need to clean the monitor, I merely soak a kleenex with some Vodka I keep in my desk drawer.

I love my job as a flight controller with the Federal Government :eek:

tegemu

I am perfectly delighted with my PT1911 just the way it was born. I certainly wouldn't start changing out parts just for drill, If it aint broke..........

vertigoing

Just came back from my local dealer and he had the Taurus1911 in black matt also. The gun is sweet for the price and when its time to buy my 1911, it will probably be the Taurus.

nero

I handled/dry-fired one at a local gunshop today and was VERY impressed with it. I'm planning on buying a stainless steel one after Christmas.

nero

Pointer

It's a $2000 gun for $600...

ANYTHING you don't like, can be fixed for a whole lot less than $1400... :rolleyes:

It's a great buy!

I want one! ;)

sig-9

Is the stainless PT1911 out yet???

I'm looking at a Springfield used but like new LOADED. Not sure if I should jump ship and just buy the PT1911?

Kimber Custom II or Springfield Loaded or New PT1911?