Tasco scope

skeeter1

I got my new Tasco scope (3-9 x 32) for the Marlin 1894 today, and I'm fairly impressed with it so far. I haven't gotten the correct scope base yet, so it hasn't been to the range, but for 25 bucks, the quality is better than I expected. Frankly, it looks nicer than the Weatherby scope that I've got on the Marlin 39 from 30-some years ago (and rather expensive).

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Tasco scope quality is one of the world's great unknowns. Sometimes they are as rugged as any top of the line stuff; some times they're not worth throwing away. Ya never know.

Good luck to you. Hope you got a good one, 'cause they're certainly bright little critters.

Art

hoghunting

I'll agree with Art on the quality of Tasco. Don't be surprised if, after your range session, you have to return the scope because it won't hold a zero.

Stalking Wolf

Any scope that does the job is a good scope we might all agree. I will "in my own opinion" that the hands down best scope you can get is a goldring from Leupold.

Three reasons:

1-NO question's asked lifetime guarentee. Bought one at garage sale for 5$that had a scratched lense. The guy obviously a. did not care, or b. did not know how Leupold operates with their warranty. I sent it to Leupold and got somethig I did not expect, not a fixed lense, a brand new scope. I wrote them a nice ty letter.

2-I have 3 Leupold g-ring scopes one was my dads he bough a dogs age ago. The clarity in that scope is no different than my brand new ones.

3-Superior optic's hands down. Unless you want to get into military type optics you can get into nightforce optics or U.S optics which are all outstanding. But they do not offer no questions asked lifetime guarentees like Leupold does. You break it, they replace it. Now that is service!

Any scope is good so long as it makes you happy. But if you want a scope that will not let you down, is rugged and extremely good opticly, has a great warranty and you can save a few dollars for them, they are well worth your while.

Wolf

tINY

Did I just read an ad?

Anyway, I hope the Tasco works out for you. I have a World Class plus in 4x that is slated for a Yugo Mauser.... when I get to putting that stock on it.

So many projects.

-tINY

radom

Last Tasco I bought came with a no questions replacement warrante also. The upper end ones dont seem that bad for the price.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I have several Leupold scopes which are around 30 years old. Zero problems.

I had a "World Class" Tasco 6x24x40 which gave half-MOA hits for one shot at 6X and the next shot at 24X. That's about as good as I'd know to want, I guess. (Mounted on a Bushmaster Match Target)

Art

Blammer

Got a pair of old Tasco fixed power target scopes...

24X & 36X made in Japan (NOT China!) in the 70's :D I use them on benchrest .22's = the 24 on a sporter, & the 36 on a big neavy BSA MkII Martini that wins meets.:cool:
The Tasco 'products' from the Chinese mainland are at best, a crapshoot = unreliable:mad:

Jseime

Ahhhhhh

I will never ever buy a tasco scope as long as i live. I had one on a .243 that i had and hated it but moved it to my first .270 when i bought that and now that i bought a new .270 that old tasco scope is gonzo and it aint coming back...EVER.

I have for now a bushnell elite 3200 which i like quite well and all scopes when i get some money (and a real job after college) will be leupold.

I hope that your tasco turns out better than mine cuz it was a dud

joshua

I will have to agree with the Japan made Tasco being a better product w/ high reliability than the Chinese made Tascos.. Although I have to add that the Chinese made scopes seem to have better glass. I'm glad all my Tasco scopes are made in Japan, oh did I mention I broke one when it was installed on (if my memory serves me right) a Browning BAR in 7Mag. josh

270Win

Both my Tascos have been golden. Couldn't be happier!

3-9x40 on my .22

10-40x50 on my .223

Clear, repeatable, very reliable, bright...

Very happy with them.

texfar

Only Tasco I have is a World Class Plus 4x that has seen a tremendous amount of abuse on a truck gun and has not failed or lost zero. About 5 years old. A clearance item from Sportsman Paradise when Tasco folded or sold out.

dfaugh

I've' been using Tascos (and I couldn't tell you where any of 'em were made) for 35 years. Never a problem, and some have been bounced around the country, and countryside for years. Now, they are not as good as higher priced scopes, the optics just aren't as good, but under most conditions they work just fine for me.

Limeyfellow

HOW CAN YOU TELL WHICH IS WHICH, Jap or Chinese, on a used one? Thanks.

Strangely enough it tends to have made in Japan written on it or Made in China.

The older Tascos are fantastic. The newer ones are so so and the quality control seems to have gone to hell in a handbasket. If you can find early 70s and before you have got awesome optics. By the later 80s the Japanese optics went bye bye. Tasco then went into liquidation in 1997, bought by Meade and then bought a couple of years ago by Bushnell. Its a tragic fall for a good company, though I have to admit my tasco stuff is mainly for telescopes though I have an early 70s tasco rifle scope and works flawlessly.

Vintage tasco is now a collectors item and is starting to gather quite a price to it.

Limeyfellow

Tasco went under and then was first bought by Meade. Then by Celestron who broke up with Tasco a few months later.

Finally the naming rights were bought by Bushnell in 2002. Its now part of the Bushnell Performance Optics line. This didn't cover any of the old Tasco stock and voided everyones warrenty, though since everything I own from Tasco is at least 30 years old it didn't effect me.

The last okay Tasco scopes were made in Japan for the US Navy back in 1990. They weren't the best, but they came in a fraction of the cost the opposition went in.