Tasco 1860 Brass Scope Mounts

Deltadart

I recently acquired a unmounted Tasco Brass 1860 replica scope, but the mounts are missing. I believe it was made in 1976 and no longer manufactured. Does anyone have a suggestion where I might find the mounts for the scope?

Jim Watson

Caution, I think those rings require taking an end bell off to slide them on, they are not split like modern mount rings.

Concur with Jim. Those Tasco mounts were atrocious. I don't know what they based them on as they are not like any antique scoped firearm I've ever seen.

Jim Watson

FLG had a customer who insisted on having one of these rigs put on a real antique Ethan Allen Single Shot to brighten it up as a wall hanger. It was a chore even though not required to aim the gun to shoot.

On the other hand I once saw a brass Tasco or Hakko in shop made mounts of the Cataract type, similar to the Chinese Hi Lux I linked. That would have worked.

One tester reported that the Hi Lux was ok to set and forget but was not precise enough for range to range comeups target shooting.

DZ and MVA make quality outside adjustment mounts, but much more expensive than Hi Lux.

Deltadart

Hi
I found some photo of the Tasco mount, and I agree those are very strange. Even I had them I would not use those. The Malcolm mounts will probably work for the project I have in mind.

noelf2

I bought one of those Tasco scopes when I was in High School in the late 70's. I went in the military and never installed it on anything. Anyway, fast forward to 2008. It had a perfect aged patina from just sitting in the box for about 30 years. I sold it to a fellow named Gary Walton as he wanted to mount a brass scope on one of his Sharps rifles. I think the end product looks awesome, even with the mounts that came with it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sharps.jpg
    sharps.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 693

Jim Watson

That looks more like a Hi Lux or even an MVA with proper mounts, not the brass brackets commonly seen with the Tasco.

noelf2

That looks more like a Hi Lux or even an MVA with proper mounts, not the brass brackets commonly seen with the Tasco.

You could very well be right. When I google the tasco mounts, those ain't them.

gunsmither

I installed two of the Tasco 3/4" scopes for customers years ago. One on a TC Hawken style .54 cal., and the other on a Uberti Henry replica. Ugliest :eek: excuse for a scope mount I ever saw, but the owners were happy with them.

gunsmither

It sure looks like the Malcolm rings would work if you drill and tap the barrel flat for one of the flat base mounts shown on their site.

Something high would be needed for the breechloading Sharps. You need clearance between the objective lens and the loading port when the block is dropped.