target Varmit rifle help

FRANK1669

Ok my 2 choices Savage 12 series and Howa M-1500 series, Primary uses will be 100-300 yard target shooting and some varmit shooting Any one know which groups better on average ( I will Probably get a Lemon:rolleyes: ) and the three calibers I cant make up my mind on would be 308, 223, or 22-250 also any thoughts wood oe laminate stock? I live in North california but it will take trips to Idaho Cour'delene area summer and winter thanks for any help ( I would like to buy 6 1 of each in all calibers but i haven't hit the lotto yet our found a rich single woman );)

T. O'Heir

"...get a Lemon..." No you won't. Both the Howa and Savage are dandy rifles, but the Savage is your best bang for your buck. Its out of the box accuracy is outstanding. Howa's are good rifles, but if you ever need service, you'll have to find a dealer.
However, you need to decide what kind of shooting you'll do most. The .308 will take any game in North America with a change of ammo, but it's not the best choice for varmints. Either the .223 or .22-250 are better for that, but neither are good for larger game. Nor are they the greatest target shooting calibres. If deer/bear/elk hunting is why you want the rifle.
For just shooting because it's fun, go with the .223. It'll do varmints, won't cost you a bunch of money to shoot regularly and the felt recoil is light.

629 shooter

Ok my 2 choices Savage 12 series and Howa M-1500 series, Primary uses will be 100-300 yard target shooting and some varmit shooting and the three calibers I cant make up my mind on would be 308, 223, or 22-250

I have a Savage 12BVSS in .223 and it would fit your above uses quite nicely. The Savage has the 1 in 9" twist barrel and will be able to handle a wide range of bullet weights. Not sure on the twist rate of the Howa. I like to shoot 69 grain match bullets in mine. But it also shoots very well with 52,53 grain bullets.

I have owned .308s in the past and they shot well but for shorter range target work I like the .223.

Jimro

The Savage in 223, and shoot 69 grain bullets. Your stated range is short enough that there isn't any need to get a faster twist barrel to go up to the 77 grain SMK's.

It is cheaper to shoot 223 than 22-250 and under 300 the prairie poodles won't notice a different. You'll also get slightly longer barrel life as well.

AND, if you get a Savage you can turn it into a 308 later with a new bolt head and barrel, which is a project you can do yourself.

Jimro

target varmint rifle help

I was in the same boat as you; I liked to hunt woodchuck and shoot targets at 100 yds. If you want this rifle for hunting I do not suggest the Savage Bvss112. Go to a gun shop and pick it up. It weighs a lot. If you are shooting prairie dogs off the back of a pick up truck or benchrest rest it is O.K. Savage rifles are one of the best rifles made in America today. They are of good value and shoot accurate right out of the box and have the new Accu-trigger which is adjustable. I like their law enforcement line in .223 20" barrel for short range varmint. For long range use the 26" barrel in .223. Make sure the twist is 1 in 9. The ammo is cheap for plinking, and can be easily reloaded with premium varmint bullets such as the Sierra Blitz King,Nosler Ballistic tip, Hornady V Max or Winchester Combined Technology or purchased factory loaded for hunting varmint. When you get a new rifle you have to break it in right; multiple cleanings with a bore guide and a certain sequence of cleaning and firing with the appropriate cleaning tips and brushes. This affects the accuracy and you can cook a rifle plinking it when new with rapid fire. If you want to shoot over 200 yards consider the 22-250 or .243. I believe Howa used to make rifles for several American companies but I have never owned one or shot one. The mistake most people make is the search for the universal rifle and round. When I started hunting varmint my first rifle 35 years ago was a Rem. 700 ADL in .243Win. with a 4X12 Bushnell scope. It shot great and I wish I still had it because that was the almost perfect rifle. I traded it in for a Rem. 700 BDL .223 with the heavy varmint barrel and after a range session it was so accurate it was scary:eek: :eek: :eek: Those rifles were dedicated to varmint hunting; and the .223 round was new to bolt action rifles because the .222 was king off the bench and in the field back then until the .22-250 became more popular in the field. Good luck with your choice and support the NRA. They support you :) :) :)