Target/ varmint ar build

bacardisteve

Finally got my rifle back from being cerakoted. This one is going to be used for punching paper and small game hunting mostly coyote and groundhogs. The upper is an 18" kreiger barell 7.7twist with a 223 cle chamber put together by compass lake. The lower has a geiselle ssae trigger and magpul acs stock. For optics I used a vortex viper pst 2.5-10x. Cant wait to start working up loads for it.

Attachments

• 20160409_113928-2.jpg
    20160409_113928-2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 59

ms6852

Beautiful looking rifle, would like to see some group shots when you take it to the range. Was wondering if you would not mind answering why you went with a 223 chamber vs. 5.56?

bacardisteve

The 223 cle chamber is based off of the 223wylde. It is essentially a 223 wylde with less freebore it is designed so that bullets loaded to mag length will have a .020 jump to the lands when using 75gr or 77gr bullets as oppossed to a longer jump in the wylde or 5.56 chamber.

ms6852

Makes sense, she is a real beauty, you will really enjoy shooting her, I'm sure. Great job on the cerakote.

Road_Clam

Awesome platform ! That barrel should love 69 gr bullets. What distances are you planning on shooting ? I have a Bushmaster 24" Varmint that I shoot weekly at 600 yds at my club and I initially was shooting with a Vltor stock and didn't like the added wobble of the adjustable stock. I ended up going with an old fashioned fixed A2 stock and it helped with added shot consistency. Your Magpul stock might be tighter fitting than my Vltor. I also added accuwedges. Good luck, keep us in the loop with your load development !

http://www.fulton-armory.com/\faqs\AR-FAQs\AccuWedge.html

bacardisteve

Road clam I plan to varmint/predator hunt with it out to 400yds and ring steel with it out to 600yds. Plan to run 75gr or 77gr out to 500yds and will single load some 75amax or vld bullets and see how far i can push it.

rpseraph

You have no idea how encouraging the results of your build are for me :) I am finishing an 18" build (Wylde rather than CLE) and I am so excited to get it fired!!

Looks awesome sir.