Target shooting with a 10/22

Skan21

My Uncle and I shoot a lot of .22's. As a matter of fact, we have more fun with that 10/22 than any other gun I've ever shot. I want to know what you all do when you head out to shoot .22's, because we are running out of ideas. We've shot crab apples off of trees, speed shooting ( 10 shots in 8 seconds, 5 shots in 3 seconds etc.), what we call sniping, which is 200 yard shooting at CD's ( We've tried 300 yards, but wind is a major factor at that point.), also shooting with malfunctions, because we have one 10/22 magazine that doesn't feed well. So we load it up all the way and shoot 10 rounds through it, hoping for a malfunction, to see who can clear the jam and resume shooting the fastest. Needless to say, I am pretty quick at clearing 10/22 jams.

So let's hear some ideas, and I hope i can chime in with some for you too!:)

Just in case you're curious, we use the cheapest ammo we can get, which is the Remington 550 rd bulk packs. It makes it interesting with FTF or FTE on occasion, along with the not so great accuracy.

mnshortdraw

We always do paintballs at 50 yards on golf tees. First shoot the paintballls, then the golf tees. Cheap soda at 100 yards in the wind is fun.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
empty 20 and 12 gauge shotgun shells laid on their side on a post with open end facing the shooter. Objective blow the back out without touching the case. I only do it at 40 yards and I found that little dark hole is a lot harder to hit than the same size bullseye on a paper target. Negative is trying to find it after we shot it.

Same shells, same distance of 40 yards but filled with sand and suspended by a thread or fishing line to dangle in the breeze. I have an old porch swing frame we use to suspend the targets from so it has about 3' to 4' of string to hang from. Sometimes its easy and sometimes the wind is blowing.

Sometimes its fun and sometimes the wind is.............um, said that already didn't I.

Skan21

That paintball idea is genius. We've done the soda, though. We've also done playing cards. My mother in law goes to Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun 3 or 4 times a year, so we always have plenty of cards. You have to do those at 100 yards, cause if you shoot them any closer, it's pretty easy to hit them. Aces, 5's, 9's and 10's are the best, cause you can aim for a center symbol.

farmall

Cans of shaving cream, golf balls, staple fast food packets of ketchup and mustard to a piece of cardboard and splatter them. Balloons with about 1 tbsp of flour in them, then inflated, give off "smoke" when hit.
Have fun!

Andy

kraigwy

Grass hoppers. I dont have any chickens this year and this place is over run with grass hoppers.

Its quite sporting shooting these suckers.

Also sharpens up you pocket pistol shooting (my 642). Walking around popping grass hoppers. Endless supply of targets.

Pahoo

Tic-Tac-Toe grid on paper and take turns going first. You set the distance and you could also introduce a time element.

Flybait or anything that will attract a fly, on or below your target and you can shoot moving flies.

Cube Race I think golf balls are too wild as they tend to fly off the berms. We cut a cube of a rubberized white foam, draw a line below the berm. Start shooting at close range and take turns pushing the cube till one of us can get it over the line. This white rubberized foam, is the same stuff that archery targets are made of. The .22 will go through it, move it but not too much. You can also spay paint the cubes any flouescent color you wish.

I like that paint ball trick and will have to try that one out myself; thanks !!! :)

Be Safe !!!

mnshortdraw

Remember the full auto BB guns at the carnival, where you have to shoot out the star? Try printing out a few dozen star targets and see who can do it the fastest, then see who can do it in the least amount of shots. 25 yards with semi auto 22's.

Inspector3711

WE used to have fun with propane tanks but these day I wouldn't do that. Just make sure whatever you shoot you clean it up when your done. They're closing the woods down around here because of trash shooters leave behind.

SeekHer

Lets remember to clean up after ourselves all that is not biodegradable...

We get enough bad press as it is for being slob hunters/shooters why fuel the arse hats fires for them...

We use NECCO wafers, any cookie, eggs, rotten fruit and vegetables, pool cue chalk cubes, paint balls all work good...

Tin cans and plastic jugs as long as we pick them up...

Glass bottles and CDs we never use...

Take small paper sacks and fill with dirt/sand or roll up newspapers and stick them upright on the ground and knock them over...

Skan21

Wow, apparently I wasn't the only one getting bored of standard shooting. Awesome ideas, especially shooting grasshoppers!