Target Rifle

4runnerman

Looking for sugestins.
I want a Target Rifle for extreame long range shooting(paper only).

I have a 223 right now im shooting at 600 yards,but would like to get even farther out. Im not the bank so money will play a factor to a point.

What are some good options that will keep me under say $1500.00 for the rifle?.

geetarman

You might want to move up to .308. Savage, Remington and Ruger all make some really nice bolt guns that would work for you. You need to touchy feely them yourself to find out what works best for you.

Geetarman:D

4runnerman

You might want to move up to .308

I have heard that,,what is the range on that rifle?.Could i go 1000 yards plus with it?.

kraigwy

What is the twist rate of your 223. If you have or can get a 1:7 you can shoot your 223 at 1000 yards using 80 SMKs or Berger 90s.

I think that would be a cheaper route the buying a new rifle. (Not that I'm against buying new rifles, I've done that a time or two my self.)

4runnerman

What is the twist rate of your 223. If you have or can get a 1:7 you can shoot your 223 at 1000 yards using 80 SMKs or Berger 90s

Thanks Kraigwy. It is a 1 in 7 twist. I had a custom barrel put on it.28 inch stainless steel bull barrel. Im shooting 75 A-Max in it right now. Im shooting it at 600 right now and was not sure if i could push it to 1000. Thanks for the heads up.

Jim Watson

I've got a 28" 6.5 twist that I tried to stretch the .223 to 1000 yards with.
I could not get 90 gr SMKs to high enough muzzle velocity to stay supersonic at 1000 yards without losing some in flight. I had one target that was nothing but Xs, 10s, and misses due to failed bullets.
It will blow those 75 gr Amax to smithereens in midair at maximum loads even though, as you have found, they do well at 600.

I ended up with 90 gr JLK or Berger VLD bullets which held together and shot accurately.

I understand that Eric Stecker at Berger prefers a lighter, faster bullet for .223 long range, their 75 gr at high velocity. They also have 80 and 82 gr bullets that might be worth a try.

kraigwy

Great, you have the 1:7, you are good to go.

If one would check, in service rifle 1000 yards matches ARs (223s) have beat the records set by the M14-308s.

I like 80 SMKs myself, but some people like the Bergers. The AR Service Rifles are 20 inch barrels, you should be able to do better with your longer bolt gun barrel.

4runnerman

Jim-Blow them to smithereans??..What do you mean?. I shoot mine now at 2850/FPS. I do not have a clue as to how fast they are going at 600 yards.
Are you saying i need to pick up the speed that much more to reach 1000?.

Jim Watson

I mean that a 75 gr Amax at 2880 fps from a 6.5 twist Krieger would often blow to pieces in midair on the way to the target. My scorekeeper could see the fragments sparkle in the sunlight. I reduced the powder charge a grain and they shot fine at 600.

If your 7 twist will deliver them at 2850 fps, you will likely be OK at 1000.

Look at the Savage model 12 Palma and F/TR rifles.

The Savage Shooting Team has won the world title long range shooting competitions for the last several years using this box-stock rifle going against many custom rifles costing 2-5x's as much.

CPTMurdoc30

You have two options

Savage F-Class in either 308 or 6.5-284 or Remington 700 Target Tactical with the 5r rifling in 308....

4runnerman

CPTMurdoc-- I was origanlly looking at a Savage 6MMBR. The local Scheels store here has one for sale. What a sweet looking gun. I was told by my Friend and salesman there,That the guy traded it in on a 270 because he could not afford to shoot it. The story was with the way the case is shaped,you can only get about 4 or 5 reloads before the case is shot. Any Ideas as to the truth of that?.

CPTMurdoc30

6mm br is not hard on cases at all that I have ever heard. I know guys that are on the 10th or 12th reload. I think what he might have needed to do was anneal the cases.

4runnerman

Thanks CPTMurdoc--will have to check it out. Love the looks of that gun.

Reloader15-- You are the second one to mention that gun now. I will have to take a closer look at it also.