Target Rifle: Single Shot or Magazine Fed?

YosemiteSam357

I'm looking for a new target rifle, and have pretty much decided on the Savage 12BVSS in .223. It's got a lot of features for the money, and the AccuTrigger is pretty sweet.

I'm having a hard time making a final decision about one aspect of the rifle though, and was hoping I could call upon those more experienced than I to help me make up my mind. I realize this is a personal decision, but I need some input.

The rifle is available both as a single shot and with a 4 round mag. The decision I need help with is whether to get the single shot or repeater version.

It has a heavy target stock, and weighs 10 lbs. I will never hunt with this gun, as it's too heavy to lug around, and besides, I don't (currently) hunt. Nothing against it, I just don't do it.

Given my intended use of the gun (informal target shooting with the possible occassional match) I'm leaning toward the single shot. I wouldn't have to worry about keeping gunk out of the magazine, and the action might be ever-so-slightly stronger since it doesn't have to have a hole in the bottom of the receiver to feed rounds.

On the other hand, having a mag doesn't seem like it would hurt anything. I'm not sure about the "stronger action" comment above - I haven't compared the two side by side. And there may be a reason to have one: If I wanted to shoot IBS-sanctioned Hunter Rifle class the rules seem to specify that the gun have a 2 round (minimum) mag capacity. However, those same rules say that the rifle must have a "convex bottom of the forend", which I interpet as disqualifying this gun since it has a flat-bottomed BR-type stock. Finally, if I ever sold it, it might be easier to sell a repeater than a single shot. This isn't too much of a concern though, as I rarely sell guns.

I know I'm over analyzing this, and should just go buy the stupid thing, but it's a big purchase for me and I want it to be as perfect as possible. Can anyone provide reasons why I might want one over the other, or show me how one is clearly superior?

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

Last edited:

Dfariswheel

Magazine or single shot Match rifle, depends entirely on what TYPE of match you'll be shooting.

If you're going to shoot a National Match-type course, you will HAVE to have a magazine fed rifle.

In general, you'll likely not notice any difference in accuracy between a sold receiver single shot, and a magazine equipped receiver Savage rifle.

Bolt rifles that are single shot, are primarily used on extremely high quality/high dollar match or bench rest rifles that are intended for extreme accuracy at any cost.

Frankly, Savage rifles simply aren't in that class, being a factory budget rifle.

With this in mind, I'd select the magazine model, for the wider applications you can use it in.
Buy a single shot, and you're limited.

12-34hom

Go with a single shot action, if only to be used for target work. Action is "stiffer" than magazine fed action.

Why a 223 caliber for target rifle?? That caliber would be my last choice for a target style rifle. 223 = Excellent varmint round, but i digress...

Better choices would be .243 diameter or better yet something in 30 caliber. There are numerous bullet choices for either caliber and their ballistic coefficient are superior and their ability to perform better in windy conditions exceed those in 22 caliber.

Savage rifles have their following, and from what i've read they seem to be pretty decent rifle for a factory offering.

What type of scope were you planning to use??

Good luck - have fun.

12-34hom.

YosemiteSam357

12-34hom
Why a 223 caliber for target rifle?? That caliber would be my last choice for a target style rifle. 223 = Excellent varmint round, but i digress...

Better choices would be .243 diameter or better yet something in 30 caliber. There are numerous bullet choices for either caliber and their ballistic coefficient are superior and their ability to perform better in windy conditions exceed those in 22 caliber.
Commercial ammo availablility and cost. I don't currently reload. I may start, but I really don't have the room or time for it. In .223 I can get everything from el-cheapo plinking ammo to match grade stuff, and have many more options for "what will work with my gun." Not so with .243, which was my second choice. There are some options for that caliber commercially, but not a whole heck of a lot, and the cost is significantly higher. Most 30 caliber guns (at least .308, etc) simply kick too much for me, with the volume I shoot. I don't mind getting thumped, but getting thumped 50-100 times in an afternoon isn't my idea of fun (and I shoot a 12 gauge in trap! - but it has a recoil reducer). Also, I already own a 7.62x54R rifle, and while not exactly "target quality" it provides the thump when I need it.

Besides, if .223 works good for varmints, why wouldn't it be good for targets? It's used in NRA high power quite frequently.

Current scope is a (ahem) Tasco Target/Varmint 6-24x42mm. That will get upgraded as needed.

So we have one vote for mag fed, and one vote for single shot. The reasons given are exactly those that led me to ask the question in the first place. Any others?

-- Sam

ocabj

Besides, if .223 works good for varmints, why wouldn't it be good for targets? It's used in NRA high power quite frequently.

.223 is used in highpower because in service rifle competition, the AR-15 the easiest rifle to accurize and with the least amount of money. For the cost of a entry level $1500 M1A, you can get a top of the line match ready AR-15.

If you use .223 for 'target' shooting, wind becomes a serious factor. You will need to learn to read wind and know how to compensate for it.

I'd get the .308 over a .223 for true target shooting. I have a Savage 10FP in a McMillan A-5 with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad and I have no problems with recoil.

As far a single shot vs magazine fed, just get the magazine fed.

YosemiteSam357

OK, thanks all for your replies.

I've changed my mind and decided to go with .243 in a mag fed rifle after all. This will give me more stability and power, and still not kick the snot out of me. I've shot .308 and just find it too much for regular use. But that's just me, and I admit to being a recoil wimp.

Yeah, I can get commercial .223 cheaper than .243, and even get "match" quality .223 commercially, but then it becomes as expensive as any other caliber. Besides, sometimes the "fun" side of things has to have precedence over the "cost" part of the equation...

I'm also going to bite the bullet, to coin a phrase, and pick up some reloading equipment. Oh, is my wife going to be excited. :)

-- Sam