Target rifle caliber

socom58

I am wanting a new rifle, but I don't know which caliber. Looking for something fun to shoot, relatively inexpensive (gun and ammo), accurate, and preferrably with a heavy style barrel. I am currently looking at .17HMR's on the rimfire side and .223 Remington on the centerfire. Preferrably something pleasant to shoot for target use out to maybe 100-150 yards. Also, does anyone know of any decent scopes in the $100-150 range? Thanks :)

jclaude

Caliber Choice

.223 is much more versatile. Far more power and range, yet the ammo is plentiful and readily available. You get the added advantage of being able to reload for it, and have access to a much broader spectrum of loads for it.

You won't get a lot of scope for that price, but you can find something that will work OK.

Scorch

I agree, the 223 is a great caliber for target work as well as varmint hunting. Make sure you get as good a rifle as you can afford. Remington, Ruger, Winchester, CZ (that's a good one for not a lot of money!). Don't buy the cheapest thing you can find, because it won't shoot as well as a better rifle.

Don't buy a cheap scope to try to save money. It will frustrate you more than you can imagine. $100 for a scope is on the way low side, but take a look at the new Redfield, Weaver and Simmons scopes. They are made by Meade Instruments, and they look pretty good for a cheaper scope. Probably run about $200-250 for a variable scope. Also look for used Leupold, Redfield, Nikon or Weaver scopes at your local gun shop. A good used scope can save you a bundle.

OneInTheChamber

Get the .17 mach 2 instead of the HMR. Almost the same round (instead of a .22WMR cased necked down, its a .22 lr case) and is much cheaper per box. Puts the same hole in the paper, so what's the difference?

JH1

If you are gonna buy a rimfire, look at cz's new 453 varmint. Has short bull barrel and a slight palm swell in the stock. Also has single set trigger. I've got a 452 american in .17 hmr and it is my favorite rimfire, good-looking and super accurate.

As far as a centerfire, go with either a cz or savage in .223, mainly because these two need no work on the trigger right out of the box. Also, both have good quality barrels and are reliable. In my experience, both are an excellent value and, MOST of the time, are very accurate right out of the box.

As far as scopes go, nikon prostaffs can be had for around $150, but far from being a target scope. Another option is a millett, which is not a top quality scope by any means. That said, i have a millett 6-18x40AO on a remington varmint special .223 and had no problems. I believe it cost between $100 and $130.

Good Luck

socom58

Thanks for the recommendations guys! :)
Get the .17 mach 2 instead of the HMR. Almost the same round (instead of a .22WMR cased necked down, its a .22 lr case) and is much cheaper per box. Puts the same hole in the paper, so what's the difference?
I figured the HMR would shoot flatter and faster and thus be more accurate.

Also, does anyone know if a heavy barrel is really necessary to acheive exceptional accuracy? I guess what I'm asking is should I eliminate a rifle from consideration just because it doesn't have one?

marks655

I assume you are not interested in handloading.

That being the case, and the fact that you are interested in under 200 yd shooting, I think a .17 would best fit your needs.

If you think you may want to have more flexibility and do more with the rifle in the future (longer ranges, different bullets, handloading, etc.) then the .223is the way to go.