Target Pistol - 9mm

Zhillsauditor

Want to get a target pistol in 9mm. Not for competition, but I want a well balanced, tight, crisp trigger, single action, 9mm that I can enjoy at the range. Want to cap it at/about $1,000. What says the peanut gallery?

rsxr22

i would look towards a Sig SAO or the undeniable 1911! Check out the STI Trojan, many people shoot these at my local IDPA matches and i had the oppurtunity to handle and shoot one and it is sooo smooth with a great trigger. STI is one of the best, if not, the best production 1911.

Look to Brazo's customs for the STI

Nightowl

I just recently bought a new Beretta 92FS and I really like it. It's smooth and most important, I like the way it fits in my hand. You'll also save some $$$.

fightingbard

You have to work (or make someone work:)) on the trigger, but CZ 75 has a high reputation for being a very good target pistol.

For 1000, I presume you could probably find better options though...

Myself...I would buy a CZ and have some work done on it...:D

All the best

NCTexan

My S&W 952 is the most accurate 9mm target pistol that I've shot. It is over you're $1000 target price.

However, I can achieve results close to its accuracy with my XDm in 9mm. The gun was scary accurate out of the box and I had Springfield do their trigger job which helped me shoot it even more consistently. It's a favorite for the range and a price performer.

Walt Sherrill

If you want to keep it under $1000, shop around for an H&K P7. I've seen them selling for as little as $600 (but not often). They are stellar performers -- right up there with the SIG 210s in most respects, and will generally outperform 9mm guns that sell for more.

In fact, a quick look in the classified area has shown several sold here on TFL in recent months for way below $1000.

old_ironsights

A Bernardelli P.One just sold on gunbroker.com for about a third of the $1K that you have to spend, and my experience is that the Bernardelli's are superior for the purpose you posed.

Bernardelli sold their handgun properties to Sarsilmaz.

Attachments

• bernardelli p-1 002.jpg
    bernardelli p-1 002.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 158
  • bernardelli views 001.jpg
    bernardelli views 001.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

hoytinak

I went with a CZ 75B SA, added some fiber optic sights from CZ's custom shop, after I get a trigger job on it (which I should of had done when they installed the sights) I think it'd be just about the perfect range/target gun. ;)

Last edited:

PSP

You may be able to find a HK USP Elite for around $1000. It has a hand matched slide and 6" barrel for precise lock up and a very nice match trigger.

USP-Elite.jpg

LanceOregon

The best and most accurate target 9mm is the Pardini GT-9.

However, the blued model sells for just over $2,000 USA currently:

pardini_gt9_6.jpg

And the stainless steel model is super expensive. It sells for over $4,000 USA:

..%5Cimmagini%5Cespanse%5CGT-6pollici_Bianco.jpg

--

Last edited:

schmeky

Zhillsauditor,

You didn't specify the degree of accuracy you're wanting. I have owned many 9's through the years. The STI recommendation is an excellent suggestion.

The Witness Elite Match is lot of gun for the money. It's basically ready to go out of the box, that is if you like the stock hard rubber grips (I didn't on mine).

I have a CZ-75 with an excellent trigger and custom shop sights. Today at my local indoor range, out of 10 rounds fired at 25 yards, I managed to keep 7 in about 1.25", I had 2 flyers (I knew it) and the #8 round opened the group up to 2.25".

You'll spend more on the CZ to get where the Elite Match is out of the box. I like the CZ better, but I'm not saying it's a better gun.

shepherddogs

I tried the CZ 85 Combat and it was really accurate but the trigger wasn't so great. I probably should have done a trigger job but ended up trading it off. Now I'm playing with a Kimber Target II SS. It's really accurate and the trigger is much better than the CZ. I loaded up some really light target loads that barely feed and they were tackdrivers. They wouldn't lock the slide back they were so weak. I may get a lighter spring or bump the charge a tad. I would like to get a S&W 952 but I can't bring myself to toss the change. For under a grand I recommend the Kimber.

Philo_Beddoe

Multiply registered, multiply banned troll.
I went with a CZ 75B SA, added some fiber optic sights from CZ's custom shop, after I get a trigger job on it (which I should of had done when they installed the sights) I think it'd be just about the perfect range/target gun.

This, just order a cz 75b SA (single action) straight from the custom shop with target sights and a trigger job.

http://czcustom.com/

I dont think you can get a better trigger on a non-1911 and the target sights are very good and you dont have to spend alot of money. Probably less then $700 all together.

Philo_Beddoe

Multiply registered, multiply banned troll.
I tried the CZ 85 Combat and it was really accurate but the trigger wasn't so great. I probably should have done a trigger job but ended up trading it off. Now I'm playing with a Kimber Target II SS. It's really accurate and the trigger is much better than the CZ. I loaded up some really light target loads that barely feed and they were tackdrivers. They wouldn't lock the slide back they were so weak. I may get a lighter spring or bump the charge a tad. I would like to get a S&W 952 but I can't bring myself to toss the change. For under a grand I recommend the Kimber.

The trigger on teh cz 75b SA with a trigger job is much better then the DA trigger on the 85 combat.