target bullet

rebs

what would you guys recommend for a 300 yd target bullet for me to reload for my Ar-15. I have a 16" 1 in 8 twist and a 20" 1 in 9 twist.

joed

I good target bullet is the 68/69 gr Match bullets and can be used in both your guns. My favorite was the Sierra 69 MK in my 1:9 twist.

For the 1:8 you could probably use a 75 gr for targets.

Hornady, Sierra and Nosler all make excellent target bullets.

Last edited:

NWPilgrim

Agree with joed, 68-69 gr BTHP from Hornady, Nosler or Sierra, and their 75 or 77 gr BTHP. Both are excellent. For some reason the 68-69 gr bullet seems to like a lot of powders and easy to find a very accurate load.

kraigwy

This might give you some ideas. This is the ammo tested in their 5.56/223 Mann device.

The Mann devise is an highy modified systed issued to ammo suppliers to test their ammo for the Army.

5.56%20accuracy%20.jpg

G.barnes

You should try some factory rounds first to see what gr. bullets your barrel likes. I've been trying different rounds for mine. 55-69 all group about the same. It really likes 75gr hornady black bthp rounds. You don't want to buy a bunch of bullets to find out your gun doesn't like them much. Once you find a bullet gr. it likes then you can fine tune it.