Target Barrel Question

Pahoo

Not sure if this question belongs here or not. I bought a Remington 540XR target rifle at a show. Price was right and bought in heat. When I got home, and started getting aquainted, found that there was a dog-knot about 6" down from the end of the barrel. Got back to the guy I bought it from and wouldn't you know it, he would not take it back. Should mention that I did buy it cheep. Decided to live with it and installed a 24X target scope and the darn thing holds a 1/2" group at 80yds using Winchester Super-X ammo. It shoots better that I am capable of for I'm not into this kind of shooting. By my measure, this thing is a tack driver. Before I shot it, my thought was to cut down the barrel to get below the knot. Now I'm not so sure. What do you guys think. When and if I pedle it, I have to mention the knot and/or repairs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know, Don't buy in heat !!!

Martyn4802

Please explain what a dog-knot is.
I'm heavy into 22 Rimfire target rifles, and maybe I can advise you what to do, but I haven't a clue what a dog-knot is.

Martyn

Clemson

Many .22 barrels will shoot just fine with a bulge in the barrel. Looks like you got one that is not affecting the gun in any adverse way. Just shoot it and enjoy it! If ever you feel that you must, replacing the barrel is not all that difficult.

I have a Marlin 39A that has a dog-nut in the barrel, and it shoots just fine.

Clemson

Pahoo

Martyn, Sorry about that!! A dog knot is a bulge in the barrel. I suppose there may be more than one reason as to how they get there. Luckily I have only seen two rifles that had this problem and both were and are .22LR. Great shooter and as the kids say; "Sweet"
By the way, you can spot these when looking one over. Look down the outside of the barrel at a light and you will see the light reflect differently in the bulge area. You can also feel the bulge as you pinch the barrel lightly between your thumb and index finger and run up and down the barrel. If the bulge still gets past you, a patch on your cleaning rod will let you know it's there pretty quick.

Last edited:

Scorch

If it really bothers you, call Remington and ask how much a new barrel would cost. They're usually pretty reasonably priced from the factory.

Hmmmmmmmmm . . . dog knot . . . must be a technical term . . .

James K

Member In Memoriam
The only cause I know for a bulged barrel is that someone fired the gun with an obstruction in the barrel, either a stuck bullet or something like a cleaning jag or bore snake stuck in the barrel.

More powerful rounds will cause a burst barrel, but generally .22 barrels only bulge as there is not enough energy in the bullet to generate the heat needed to burst the barrel.

Jim

Harry Bonar

bulge

Sir:
How long would the bbl. be if you cut it off ablout an inch below the ring?
22 rifles will develop full velocity in a 16" or 18" bbl.
Harry B.

Harry Bonar

dog-knot

Sir:
That's an old - term. If you can get by the "dog-knot" mentally I'd leave well enough alone - your rifle will look better!
Harry B.