Target .22 autos

socom58

1. Ruger 10/22T - laminated stock, 20" heavy barrel, target model

-or-

2. Remington 597 LS HB - laminated stock, 20" heavy barrel

I can pick up the 597 for about $250 and the Ruger for $320. Is the 10/22 worth the extra 70 bucks? Also, are the 597's still having feeding problems? Thanks :)

Ifishsum

I've used both and I prefer the 597 for accuracy. I think it is a little more particular about ammo, especially the cheap stuff but you don't buy a target model to shoot cheap ammo anyway. Mine gets fed MiniMags and loves them.

I had some problem with the original magazine if I loaded more than 7 rds - a replacement fixed that.

270Win

That's interesting on the 10/22T price - when I bought my carbine, the gun shop had the same gun for... ::gulp:: ... $409!!

What a markup! I paid about $25 over the WalMart price, but I believe in supporting the local store once in a while, out of principle. Otherwise, there won't be any small guys left, like when Blockbuster moved into my town and put five family-owned businesses out of commission.

Anyway, I've never shot the Remington, but the Ruger had a very solid, hefty feel to it when I handled it in-store. The resident 10/22 expert, a clerk about my own age (mid-20s), said it's the model he had and he loved it. Also said it was definitely a benchrest gun, because it was weighted awkwardly for off-hand shooting.

My old coworker at one of my jobs had a Remington 597, but not the target model. He loved it front to back, and swore he'd never buy a Ruger as long as he had the Remington. One of the big advantages is the twin guide-rails the Remington has, a la their pump shotguns... some think this is superior to the grooved slots featured in other semi-auto .22s. I suspect it's also balanced better. Impossible to say without holding them both, though.

Good luck either way! Let us know what you pick.