Tapco, trigger slap cure??

Orlando

I am trying to help a friend
He has a WASR with terrible trigger slap. I was going to order a TAPCO trigger and install it for him but see there are two differnt versions, double and single hook.
Which one should I get and what is the difference between them?
Thanks guys

Poodleshooter

Op- best to check the issue out somewhere with good AK info. Either gunsnet or the AK section of arfcom.
However IIRC, the WASR is a single hook design.

dahermit:"trigger slap" is excessive reset force on the trigger. Try working the action on any semi-automatic, and you'll feel a bit of pushback as the trigger resets. On some AKs, it can be rather forceful due to the disconnector impacting on the trigger.

Technosavant

The hooks are easy to check. You don't even need to pull the cover off the receiver. Flip the rifle over, and look at the trigger. How many nub cuts are in the bottom of the receiver right at the front of the trigger? If one, it's single hook. If two, it's double hook.

A single hook trigger will fit everything. A double hook trigger will need another nub filed out of the receiver to fit. The second hook was added as insurance in case the first one broke, but in practice, it was unnecessary and most designs didn't bother with it. Even modern Saigas end up as single hook designs (irrelevant unless you move the trigger group forward, but there's only one cutout there).

If you'll allow me to make a recommendation, get the retainer plate that replaces the shepherd's crook spring. It's much easier to install and remove, you'll thank yourself. It's the second item down on this page.

dahermit- The hooks are part of the trigger itself; they hold the hammer back when the rifle is cocked. IMO, it's really an ingenious design in its simplicity. Some guns have two, most seem to have one. The trigger slap is as described, but a Tapco G2 trigger group seems to be the fix.

kraigwy

trigger slap cure??

Best method I can think of was from an old drill sgt from the mid 60s. If he thought you were slapping or jerking the trigger he'd stick your trigger finger in the rifle and let the bolt of the M-14 (or M1) and hit the bolt release. Your finger was so sore you'd have to squeeze the trigger.

Guess you can't do that in this new PC "huggy, touchie, feel good Army.

KLRANGL

The WASRs that I have seen already come with a Tapco trigger. Make sure it doesn't already have one.

And I recommend K-Var as a replacement trigger.

KLRANGL

Makes sense. I still recommend the K-Var trigger over the Tapco though... The double stage K-Var trigger that came stock on my Arsenal SLR-107 is a huge improvement over the Tapco in my brothers WASR.

Technosavant

I didn't know K-Var was making the things, but some competition is good.

The Tapco trigger group I used for my Saiga 12 conversion has a couple minor manufacturing issues- the mold part lines on the hammer meant the disconnector would hang up on it, keeping everything from resetting. A little dremel work and polishing took care of that. Still, competition keeps companies from getting too complacent.

m17s_guy

stick your trigger finger in the rifle and let the bolt of the M-14 (or M1) and hit the bolt release

they still taught that with the morons in my OSUT group 10 years ago.... :) best training they ever got!

chris in va

I have the Tapco single hook for my Saiga. No slap, works fantastic. Double hook really only comes into play for FA guns, not needed on semiautos.

bamaranger

tapco

The Tapco will do fine. It solved a vicious slap in my MISR. A decent pull resulted too.

If you still don't have a grip on hook count, ......clear the rifle, cycle the action to cock the hammer, and observe the hammer in the cocked position. Retaining the hammer are the "hooks", and there will be either one or two.

If two, they will be on either side of the hammer, and a single, obviously, will not. Go with a single as Techno advised.

Just for the record, I wonder if a double might not yield as satisfactory results overall as a single, since there's two engaging surfaces involved?

AK103K

I know its more money, but the Red Star Arms is a much nicer trigger than the Tapco G2.

I replaced my WASR's stock trigger, which is actually pretty nice, with the G2 after hearing all the raves about them. Mine was terrible. It was very crunchy on take up, and if you took up a little, and stopped, it basically made the trigger very much like a "set" trigger, and the gun would go off unexpectedly, the next time you touched it. I put the factory back in.

The RSA trigger is about twice as much, but its a much nicer trigger. Its also fully adjustable. I have one in my old SAR, and never regretted it. The SAR's were the ones that I saw that usually had the slap, I thoght they had it worked out by the time the WASR,s came around. My WASR had none, had straight sights (canted sights were another SAR feature)and was much nicer overall compared to the SAR's, even the later ones. Mine actually looks like a SAR, and doesnt have the laminated stock.

Willie D

If you get the Tapco, get the single hook. It will be an improvement.

If you want to fix the disconnector (and the slap) yourself you need to cut/file down the part the juts out of the back of the disconnector, which is only necessary for full auto.

Make this:
images

...look like this:
gt-fcg_1350.JPG