Tapco SKS comfort test..... A+

bennnn

Tapco SKS comfort test..... A+

I got a deal on an OD green Tapco T6 and one of the Tapco 20 rounders last week and wanted to see how it all felt on an old Norinco I had stuck in the closet... I was missing the operating rod for this rife,, but lo and behold,, out of the blue the guy I bought it from threw in an Op rod without telling me it was on the way!!

I know,, sounds crazy right? I put the whole thing together and slapped a 42mm red dot I had sitting around on the gas tube rail that Tapco was kind enough to add (seemingly just for me...today...)..And Viola!

It was great! After I sighted it in and got used to holding the grooves in the mag instead of trying to hold the forearm portion of the stock as I normally do,, this rifle came back to life in a major way.

I have tried every aftermarket stock on the planet for the SKS,, and a few I made up myself out of old beaters,, and most have sucked in one way or another,,, but I have to say that this one rocks!

tapco002iw8.jpg

sectshun8

Very nice lookin'!

I was actually interested in picking up a Yugo SKS a week or so agao at the same time I was picking up my M/N M44. I was told on the phone they had a bunch to choose from, but when I showed up, the owner was like, "How do you even know we have these, they are not even logged yet?"

So I wasn't able to get my hands on one. Soon though. That OD green looks great!:D

Smokey Joe

Niiice!

Bennn--Agree, the Tapco T6 looks VERY nice! What does it do (if anything) for the Norinco's accuracy?

Anybody else know of a good deal on this stock?

bennnn

The parts # is up to speed with 922r of course............ (notice the missing Bayo?? It's lonely sitting in a box next to the original stock...)

The new Tapco 20's are really good. It's worth it to buy a few of them to make reloading easier. The two I have do Not work easy with stripper clips..
I had to try that just to see how it was,,, I got the first stripper in easy,,
(not as smooth as into the fixed box on any SKS though) but as for using two from the top to reload these mags,, I would say it's a pain in the arse and not worth the trouble.

Having a few of the mags loaded is the only easy way to reload this setup to it's full potential.

Also,, it seems that loading these mags to 18 rounds only gave the best results. Pushing it to the full 20 puts a lot of stress on the plastic feed lips during loading. IMHO loading them down a few less rounds will make the mags last longer.

Limeyfellow

Bennn--Agree, the Tapco T6 looks VERY nice! What does it do (if anything) for the Norinco's accuracy?

If you bed it properly into the Tapco it can help really well. That will take all the wiggle room out of the stocks. If you don't it still have some movement that will effect accuracy..

Doing that and sticking on a better sight will help more than just about anything to improve the accuracy in your SKS.

bennnn

sticking on a better sight will help more than just about anything to improve the accuracy in your SKS.

I bypassed that with the red dot.... The gas tube is rock solid, and it's a good trick to further sturdy it up by epoxying the HG into the caps,,, as it has been..

From my past experiances with SKS's this is what's going to really help hot-rod this old Norinco:

A new set of reduced power Wolff springs,,,,, The old Norinco springs are around 22 lbs/12 pounds respectively..... The trigger is crazy heavy right now..

These ones are a lot lighter.. I'll be cleaning up that stiff trigger with these in a day or two when I get a break from the household stuff around here...

skssprings001by8.jpg