Tapco rifles

DAL

On page 42 of the July 3, 2000 issue of Shotgun News there are six rifles for sale that do not require an FFL to order. The one I'm interested in (even though I have no real need for it, and my gun budget is blown for the year) is the Mauser sporter in 7mm. It is already drilled and tapped for a scope.

The price seems a bit steep to me, $249. The main thing I'm interested in is the action, as I think the barrel can be(?) (and probably will need to be) replaced.

I'm on the fence on this one. On the one hand, I don't really need another rifle at this time, especially another to reload for. On the other hand, I don't want to pass this up IF it is a good deal. Plus, not having to go through the Govt. paperwork rigmarole is a bonus. Any input is welcome.
DAL

P.S. On the same page is a Mauser carbine in "7.62 Nato." It has a 17.5" barrel that, I'm sure, helps the rifle kick like a mule. That would be my (distant) second choice.

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA

Nestor Rivera

The Tapco guns are in the Pre-1898 antique class and thus are not guns accroding to law.
If you want to get one the $99.00 Mosin-Nagant will be the closest to normal gunshow price. As for the .308 Carbine it is probably a Spanish 2 lug mauser and not the best action for .308 Nato, you can either handload down (less powder or lighter bullet) or convert it to 7.62x39 using a chamber adapter. Good Luck and have fun.