TAP 9mm Ammo

TiP99

So i was reading up on the Hordany Tap FPD line of ammo. It looks very promising. ANy info on these? What would the advantage over Hydrashocks, or SXT Supremes?
Any experiences would be helpful.
THank you

Hal

Saw that article myself.

"What would the advantage over Hydrashocks, or SXT Supremes? "

It says "Hornady" on the box.

My personal experience with Hornady - all across the board - is that Hornady makes good stuff,,,,,very good stuff..extremely good stuff.

When the TAP becomes available locally, I plan on giving it a try.

TBT

The TAP sounds like really good stuff but with Corbon PowRball out there, I see no need to try anything else.

Zinger084

has anyone tried this out yet? i was going to buy this before federal hydra-shoks 9mm 135 grains but i didnt because i hadnt heard much about it.

any articles or comments online?

TangoTracker

Well they all shoot paper about the same. :D

It's kinda hard to try Hydra-Shoks and Hornady TAP stuff out as designed, you sort of need at least two willing victims.

I'm comfortable that both will kill BG's without over penetrating.

I run Hornady 200gr TAP in my 3.5" 1911 because it's a lighter and high powered to compensate for lost velocity in the short ported barrel.

(as an added bonus the black casings are way cool)

jroth

Whaat's the...

difference between the "Custom" line ammo and TAP, don;t they all use the XTP bullet?

It the most accurate in all my sidearms.

147 Grain

Hornady makes top-notch ammo and although I like the XTP bullet for field use, it generally doesn't expand enough for my tastes in self defense ammo. The XTP is a tough design like the Speer Gold Dot and both need to be driven with more speed to get the most out of them. It's amazing as to how well these two rounds will perform at 150 fps higher velocity.

IMHO:

Example of the top three 9mm SD loads to consider:

* Double Tap 9mm 147-gr. Gold Dot JHP @ 1,135 fps in a Glock 17 is well under SAMMI specs (only 200 psi over standard ammo pressures) using specially blended cooler burning powders not commercially available. This load achieves 150 more fps than their competitors because the powder produces a large smooth pressure curve for high velocity speeds to buildup under (unlike the spike pressures of +P ammo).

* Winchester Ranger T (Talans) in 147-gr. +P at 990 fps (Glock 19) consistently achieve about 15" penetration and almost 3/4" expansion in clothed gelatin tests. This load also outperforms many 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 45 Auto loads as well, but not all.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php...25&goto=newpost

* Golden Saber 147-gr.

Nothin' else out there on the market beats the top 3 as far as self defense is concerned, using penetration and expansion in denim covered gelatin as a guide.