Tank Handguns

TRguy

I have owned a 4506 (no Dash) for many years. I found this write up on them and love this gun for range time. It is too heavy for EDC. It is more accurate than any stock 1911 I've ever owned.

Review S&W 4506

If you are lucky one day you can fire one too.

4506_fired.jpg

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Mmm, yes, I have wanted a 1006 for quite some time. Hard to come by. Great gun, over built, rugged, accurate... Nobody gets rid of them.

Nordeste

As far as I can see, the safety is off ;)

I'll be soon getting one of these. Star 30M. It can surely enter the "built like a tank" category, weighing nearly 1'200 kg... empty. Put a 15 round magazine in her and go figure. Reliable and accurate, with a lovely trigger. A true old-school semiauto.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had one issued during a few years. Absolutely loved it, and that's why I succumbed to nostalgia and will end up getting one, despite the difficulty to find spares. It'll be a range gun, but if bad comes to worse and one day there's no more spares, I'll put her in a methacrylate display case in my living room. Worth to have a unit of what is, IMO, the best pistol ever manufactured over here.

Fact is, I have carried her off duty, no problems. It's true that I carried this pistol OWB and that there wasn't much concern about printing, since in that place everyone knew who we were, but with a loose shirt or a long sweater, there wasn't that much printing to worry about.

chris in va

It is too heavy for EDC. It is more accurate than any stock 1911 I've ever owned.

I carry a CZ 97b. Just depends on your rig.

I've also discovered carrying a spare mag on the opposite side helps balance the weight a bit.

aden67

Here is my S&W 645 "transitional"...it's a 4506...but one of the few that were still being stamped with the 645 model number. I love it and it will go to my son...and his son...and his son!

attachment.php

Attachments

• S&W 645.jpg
    S&W 645.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 907

dsk

I just recently picked up a lightly used 4006 and love it. The thing may be heavy, but thats actually good as it's quite soft shooting for a .40. It has a solid heft and feel to it and immediately makes anything with a plastic frame feel like a toy. I really lament the fact that the Smith 3rd gen autos are no longer being manufactured.

But yes, I agree they're not good for daily carry unless you want to end up with a bad back.

Pahoo

Taking a second look !!

Guess I'll have to rethink and revisit mine as I have not shot it for a number of years. Found the grip a bit large for my hands and bought a set of replacement Hogues that never go installed. Interesting !! ;)

Be Safe !!!

Jim243

Naa, those are too pretty. To be a tank you have to be really ugly and have ammor plating.

IMG_1220.jpg

Now this is a tank.

Jim

agtman

Mmm, yes, I have wanted a 1006 for quite some time. Hard to come by. Great gun, over built, rugged, accurate... Nobody gets rid of them.

You're right. I won't be getting rid of this one ...

10mm S&W 1006.
am_other-10mm-1.jpg

Then there's this "police trade-in" Smith I came across that's also quite nice.

45acp S&W 4566.
SW-5.jpg

Both are tanks. S&W 3rd Gens - grab 'em if you see 'em.

Tim Tebow would ... ;)

:cool: