Tang or receiver peep sight for Win 94?

RobW

What would you prefer when your eyes get "worn out", a tang or a receiver peep sight (no scope) for the Winchester 94?

BRS

I use the Williams receiver sights on my Marlins, and just leave out the peep insert. Nice big aperture, good so for my 47 year eyes. Williams receiver sights are available and not as expensive as the Lyman or Redfields which are hard as hell to find and expensive at gun shows. Marlins are pre-drilled, and the newer 94s are too. I think that they used the same sight.

BRS

Peter M. Eick

Let me second the williams receiver peep sight. Great sight, but my older 94 needed to be drilled. Other then needing a trip to the gunsmith it is perfect.

I once did a "snap shot" with a Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 equipped with a tang sight. I didn't get the rifle seated to my shoulder well, so recoil was much greater than normal.

Let's just say that I'm glad I was wearing glasses at the time, as otherwise the aperture, instead of whacking the lens and scratching it, likely would have whacked me in the eye itself.

I think tang sights are fine for mildly recoiling rifles. Anything else, though, and it's just too close to the eye for comfort.

RobW

Many thanks for the advice. I'll go with the receiver-sight (the 94 is drilled and tapped for scope).

Do I have to replace the factory front sight, too? Do I have to remove the factory rear-sight?

I'll check out Ashley and Williams.

Robb,

Most receiver sights are designed to use the stock front sight.

The current rear sight may or may not need to be removed.

RobW

Mike, you alreday broke the sound-barrier of more than 8000 posts! Great!

After checking the diverse manufacturers, I have some problems to decide if I should go with a Williams or Lyman receiver-sight. I think they both have 1/4 MOA-clicks and look very solid. Does one have an advantage over the other when mainly punching paper @ 100 yds? (It's a fun, not a hunting gun ):D