Tampa ranges?

jimacp

I will be moving to the Tampa area this spring, and will be there next week to begin househunting. Anyone recommend a good range for me to visit while I'm there?

allenomics

You are in luck. Shoot Straight is opening up a new range and store in Tampa. They also operate in Orlando (Apopka) and are very good, fair and knowledgable.

Castaway

Dade City Rod and Gun Club, located about 35 miles north of Tampa. Open to the public. Daily shooting fees are $10 adult, $3 for those under 18. Yearly membership $75 with a $50 first year initiation fee for a total of $125. Open from 0900 -1600 daily except Thursdays. There are 10 rifle lanes, each at 50 and 100 yards and 8 pistol lanes, 7, 15 and 25 yards. Also there is an overflow range if needed or for special events. Target frames and targets are provided. Range officers are safe knowlegeable and courteous

workingstiff

Shoot Straight

Allen- do you know when & where Shoot Straight is opening in Tampa. As I mentioned, I think Knights is one of the best and only about a 20 minute drive from the downtown & the west side of Tampa, but I think it's fun to check out new ranges. Variety is the spice of life!

allenomics

Shoot Straight in Tampa should be opening soon; days or weeks from now. It might already be open. When fully built out, it will include a range and retail store. I believe it is located close to the Fairgrounds? Range time at its Orlando area outlets are $12 or $10 if you buy its ammo (it also has a $200 annual range membership, good seven days a week at all of its locations). Gun prices are competitive and the staff is friendly and helpful.

katana8869

Dade City Rod and Gun Club, located about 35 miles north of Tampa. Open to the public. Daily shooting fees are $10 adult, $3 for those under 18. Yearly membership $75 with a $50 first year initiation fee for a total of $125. Open from 0900 -1600 daily except Thursdays. There are 10 rifle lanes, each at 50 and 100 yards and 8 pistol lanes, 7, 15 and 25 yards. Also there is an overflow range if needed or for special events. Target frames and targets are provided. Range officers are safe knowlegeable and courteous

+1! I am a range officer there thanks to a conversation that I had with a fellow R.O. that is also a member this board. Great range and a great group of folks to work with. :)

Castaway, being an R.O. there has lots of perks and we always can use good people, you may want to consider it! Feel free to p.m. me.

whiskey

For a good outdoor range you can check out Manatee Gun Club on State Road 64 in Manatee county. It is about an hour from Tampa, but they have a 500yd range and allow just about any firearm as long as you are safe.

Jim Watson

Although from Alabama, I am sitting in Tampa (actually Ruskin) as we speak. I just came back to my friends' house here after shooting the Florida State IDPA Championship in Orlando. I will likely get down to the Manatee range later this week, as my host is a hunter and wants to try a rifle of mine. (I understand they are open Thur, Fri, Sat, and Sunday.)

superfast61821

Totally second Knights in Clearwater i am glad to see that someone else already reccomended it. It's an amazing place with awsome Class 3 rentals.

TampaJim

From the Shoot Straight website:

http://www.shootstraightonline.com/locations.htm

Also try Shooting Sports indoor range on Dale Mabry Hwy (Tampa's 'main drag'). They are not bad in the cooler months, but apparently the range is not air conditioned, only the store. Monday is Ladie's night, if ya got one to bring.

Another indoor range (advertised as air conditioned) is on Fowler Avenue out near I75. The name of this one escapes me.

Enjoy,
Jim

workingstiff

Bad Karma @ Shooting Sports

I've been to this place on Dale Mabry 3 times and will never go again. They're close to my house and I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. Besides a rude and condescending staff, the ventilation and cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired. Unless you don't mind blowing black/brown stuff out of your nose for the next day or so.

katana8869

Another indoor range (advertised as air conditioned) is on Fowler Avenue out near I75. The name of this one escapes me.

That would be, The Indoor Shooting Company. They are right next to the Big Top Flea Market.

allenomics

Shoot Straight is now open in Tampa.

3909 N US Hwy 301, Tampa, Tel: 813-627-8550

Open 7 Days A Week: Monday - Saturday 10AM - 9PM, Sunday 11AM - 6PM

TampaJim

I've been to this place on Dale Mabry 3 times and will never go again. They're close to my house and I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. Besides a rude and condescending staff, the ventilation and cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired.

LOL....It is the closest range to my house also, otherwise I would have no reason to go. Never experienced rudeness from the staff, but once was interested in a pistol they had. It was for sale for many, many months. I asked about the price but they were not willing to budge an inch. If they had moved on the price even a little I probably would have bought it. It is still there.

Some of the youngsters they have working there make me chuckle.
One kid was on the phone with a potential customer who was apparently shopping for a 9mm. He was bent over the display case and was describing to the caller a nice S&W Model 39 that they had. I had just looked in there and thought I might have missed it, so I went over to look. What the kid was describing was a compact S&W CS9 , which I know to the untrained eye sorta looks like a Model 39:p

workingstiff

Tampa Shooters-Shoot Straight

OK, I had a good excuse to try them out. I have a NIB Kahr CW9 that I bought a couple of weeks ago, and 2 spare mags arrived yesterday. Time for the 200 round break in. So I drove over there this morning. Shoot Straight is south of the Fairgrounds, on the east side of Hwy. 301 just south of MLK drive.

Beautiful facility, brand new and purpose built. Awesome selection of firearms in the store, sticker prices seemed slightly high but I wasn't buying so I didn't try to dicker. Lots of staff present and very friendly.

The range is clean, carpeted, bright and very well ventilated. The only downside I could see is that the range is not air conditioned, so it will probably get warm in the hotter months.

Tampa Visitors, I'll still recommend Knights for your "tourist" visit, a state-of-the-art facility, great selection of rental guns, plus they're closer to the airport area. You won't be dissapointed.

Tampa Shooters, although I'll frequent Knights because they're slightly closer and the Air Conditioned range is a huge factor, you really should check out Shoot Straight.

FYI, I also took my Sig 239 9mm in case the Kahr CW9 didn't perform as expected. Never took the Sig out of the case, 275 rounds out of the Kahr with a smile on my face.

Thank you for opening a store here Shoot Straight, what a great asset for the hunting, archery and firearm enthusiasts here in Tampa.