Tamara/others-Jetfire carry question

gumshoe4

Tamara, how do you carry your Jetfire? Is it C&L, hammer down on loaded chamber or hammer down on empty chamber?

Do you holster it or pocket carry?

How about the others here with Jetfires?

I'm thinking about buying one for certain situations-and no thanks, I don't need a lecture about the ineffectiveness of the .25 ACP.

Thanks to all in advance for your info.

Bob

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Most of the pockets I carry it in keep it oriented well enough to not use a pocket holster, though I have one for larger pockets. I never keep anything but the pistol in that pocket.

I carry it with a round chambered, the hammer in the half-cock or safety notch, and the safety on.

USofA

1/2 cock safety on also. I picked this gun up at a show a while ago just as a curiosity, but I love this thing! It now goes everywhere with me. I was shooting it at the range recently, and I've never had so many people curious and asking to shoot any of the guns I owned like they were this baby. We must have put 4-500 rounds through it that day, and everyone was impressed with the accuracy, reliability, and ease of use. In fact I think Beretta now owes me a finder's fee for the 3 or 4 guys who actually went right out and bought one. Mine has been flawless with everything from CCI to MagSafes. While it is no cannon, the ability to have it with me anytime, anywhere with no inconvenience whatsoever makes this one a keeper. When bigger just won't work, this little gun is great.

Pilot

Is this the single action Beretta? Which do you recommend, the .25 or .22? I'm thinking of getting one for my wife.

Southern Raider

.22 seems to have a slight edge in effectiveness and a large edge in price over the .25. However, the .25 has an edge in feed reliability, statistically. YMMV.

Kentucky Rifle

When I carry mine....

..I carry it in a DeSantis pocket holster. I also carry it hammer down and chamber loaded.
I believe there is a firing spring pin in there. The spring SHOULD keep the little auto from firing if I should drop it. (I hope!) If someone strongly disagrees on this point, I'd be grateful to read your opinion. By the way, mine has never missed a beat. I used to keep it loaded with Magsafes. (A cop told me that he kept his Jetfire stoked with Magsafes.) However, I've now followed Tamara's lead and load mine with Gold Dots.

KR

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The single action Beretta only comes in .25 ACP (Jetfire) and .22 SHORT (Minx, discontinued).

Go with the .25 ACP.

gumshoe4

Thanks to all for the info...

I've heard lots of good stuff about these tiny pistols, and almost no bad stuff. They don't seem to be nearly as controversial as the Tomcat (.32 ACP). I might look a little closer for one and this gives me some good ideas of how to best use the pistol.

Thanks again...

bad_dad_brad

The Jetfire is an excellent accurate reliable weapon. The .25 caliber cartridge is at best not much better than a BB gun. Well, it is better than that, but not a whole lot more. For instance, I have a Sheridan blue streak pellet rifle that puts a tiny .20 caliber 14 grain bullet in wood just about as deep as the .25 out of a Jetfire. Always go with FMJ ball in the .25 as the anemic round will never expand a JHP.

When using the Jetfire for self defense go for the head shot, specifically the eyes, nine shots. That is where this little sucker is most effective. Mossad, the Israeli secret service, at one time used the Jetfire, sneaking up on the bad guy, silenced, to whack him, close up, in the medula (the brain pan).

If you are going to carry a .25 then the Jetfire is the way to go. Don't care much for that half cocked thing. Carry it chambered on safety, fully cocked in a pocket holster. Cocked and locked. If you are nervous about this, then put the hammer down on a chambered round, just don't drop it in that condition, and practice pulling the hammer back.

Remember not to dry fire the Jetfire without a spent round or snap cap as the inertial firing pin can be damaged.

SELFDEFENSE

I carry my 950BS only a couple of times a year. One of those times every year is my daughter's school's auction dinner because of semi-formal dress and low-risk venue.
I carry C&L with FMJ in a pocket holster.
Never had a failure to feed/eject anything except American Eagle FMJ. Never fired 2 of them in a row. I hand loaded all 50 one-by-one 'till the box was finished.
The advantage of the .25 ACP over the .22LR for SD is ignition reliability vs. a rimfire.
Good advice to practice face/head shots. That's all I practice.
Rounds I carry(ied): Hornady Expanding Point, Fiochhi FMJ, Blazer FMJ, Glazer, and Rem. FMJ.

Ben

Jetfire is usually in my pocket... sometimes in a holster in my pocket. Sometimes on my hip in a holster. I keep it chambered and the hammer all the way down. Don't want a lot of crap faling between the pin and the hammer. I don't trust the safety seeing as all it does is prevent the trigger from moving... it doesn't actually block any firing pins or anything. I fingure if I'm going to carry a gun chambered, a half cocked gun HAS Potenetial energy, while a lowered hammer has none. I weigh that if I'm ever to drop it. Therefore, in my mind it's safer completey down... you're going to have to cock a half cocked gun to shoot it anyways.

Ben

PS, I highly recommend a .25 over a 22. It's a center fire vs rimfire, and designed for a semiauto.

Erich

When I carried it (before I too got convinced of bad dad brad's "it's pretty weak" thesis), it was loaded with Magsafes in front of Hornadys, half-cock, safety on, loaded chamber, front pocket in a good quality holster I found in the bargain used bin at the store I used to manage.

And, in the inimitable words of Mr. Liddy, "Head shots! Head shots, people!"