TAMARA - Molon Labe - What does it mean?

logansdad

Is this a Latin phrase or an acronym? Something else entirely? I've even seen a MWLWN LABE version.

As I'm sure this question has been posted before, I considered searching the archives. However, with these two words in your (Tamara's) and other's signatures every time they post, I figured that I would get about a gazillion hits!

So, please humor me and let me in on the secret. Thanks.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
At the battle of Thermopylae, Persian king Xerxes, at the head of an army that numbered as many as 250,000 men, demanded the surrender of Leonidas and his small force of Spartans and allied troops. His terms were "Lay down your weapons, and you will be allowed to live".
Leonidas' response (in ancient Greek) was "Molon Labe", which translates as "Come and get them".

An appropriate quote to remember, no? :)

Just click here for the complete story, and why we're reviving Leonidas' words today.

logansdad

AHA!!

Thanks, Tamara. Quite appropriate for topics found herein. Oh, to be as learned as you. I'm just a poor TN redneck (with a degree in Chemistry and a pilot's license).

BTW, loved your web site. Now, if one of those bikes were a Harley....

powderific

if you see it spelled "MWLWN LABE" its probably because when you type in symbol font (Greek characters) omega is "W"

Don S

The Texans did one better when the Mexican army came to confiscate a cannon. They made a flag with a picture of the cannon and the words: "Come and Get It". This was the trigger for the Texas Revolution (although the reason for the Revoultuion was Santa Ana's dictatorship and the suspension of the Mexican Constitution of 1824).

Shortly earlier, Santa Ana had crushed another Mexican state that resisted his dictatorship. After he won, he allowed his troops several months of rape and pillage in the state, as an example to those who would resist.

Hard Ball

I believe it was Tamara who used to say to the Spartan soldiers as they marched off to war "Come back with your shield or on it!"