Talley one piece ring/base?

banditt007

930708.jpg

I'm looking at getting these to fit a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 scope onto a Savage 111G 30-06. I need to know what ring height i should get? I'm looking to get it as close to the receiver as possible.

Here is the listed sizes
(bottom of ring opening to rifle receiver)

LOW: .400"

MEDIUM: .500"

HIGH: ? i'm assuming here .600"

On a side note this gun comes with 'iron' (plastic) sites. To remove the rear one seems easy enough(screws), but i'd also like to remove the front one as well. I do not see an obvious way to remove the front site? No screws i can see and i've pushed on the side of the front blade pretty hard b/c it looks like it slides into a base.... w/ no luck.

THanks guys

Last edited:

seant

With the Talley light weights, I have used low mounts with 40 mm objective scopes. It can be close and depend on the contour of the barrel. ie. a heavy bull barrel may not work, but a thin light weight barrel may work.

I don't own a savage rifle, so I don't know about the sights.

ge515

I just put the same scope on a new Savage Model 10 Precision carbine in 223 Remg and used the Low Talley one piece light weights. This rifle is from Savage's Law Enforcement Series. It has a medium to heavy barrel. I have about 3/16" clearance between barrel and scope.

fireroad

Low will work fine, I have used them on 44mm objectives with sporter bbls and they cleared. Also, check out Natchez Shooting Supply, they have Talley's on sale much cheaper than SWFA (although SWFA will match there price).

banditt007

alright so low it is, now i have two options w/ that. I can either go 'extended' or standard. I think the scope i have is pretty long, but then again the spacing between the bases on this gun is huge. I'm thinking if i need to, i can get more adjustment out of the extended rings? thoughts?

here is the extended ones and the regular.

Horseman

I'd try the standard first and only go extended as a last resort. Especially if it looks like your rifle has a lot of room between front and rear mounts.