Talking to an FFL

Indy_SIG

Western,

You have made an assumption that is not valid. If the FFL is predisposed to charging you "an arm and a leg", it is going to happen regardless of what you say.

I suggest asking others in your area for the name of a respectable dealer who only charges "an arm".

Good luck.

bamf

I say, "How much do you charge for a transfer?"

They say a price.

I saw ok or I tell them I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Simple.

Heavygunz

Now I'm curious...

Since I have procured my fair share of guns (and maybe even more than my fair share) and still have both arms and legs, I am curious to find out... just what does 'An arm and a leg' equate to in dollars and cents?

I pay $30/transfer + the obligatory $10 for the dang hotline call. How does that stack up with other neighborhoods?

t/

Zundfolge

I've paid as low as $15 for an FFL transfer and as high as $25.

I will continue to use the $25 guy because he's outside the city limits and therefore not beholden to the laws of the city I live in ... that means no waiting period ... oh yeah, and he's a heck of a nice guy ... the $15 guy was ok but he's inside the city limits ... plus clear across town.

sumabich

Yowsers! Must be the state you live in

I buy a lot on line. Mine charges $20 for rifle and $15 pistol, since in this state you have to have a pistol permit and that negates Fed phone call. Mine is a WWII vet. a firm beliver in the Constitution and I consider my friend. He runs a small shop and occasionally has something I gotta have. If you purchase one of his there is no fees. If I bring in something he has parts for he will often throw them in for fun. He has a truckload of Springfield parts that are all mixed up and would take a month to sort through. Find a small shop and get to know the guy or gal. He loves old .22 single shot rifles and I often try to find something he hasn't seen. I will never forget the look on his face when I opened the box to a .22 Piepers with a really odd extractor system. He grabbed a hand full of ammo and ran out behind the shop to fire it. :D Now I think it's my mission in life to find something he's never shot, like a .22 Enfield trainer etc. If you're being charged 75 for a simple transfer, start looking for small towns in your area and get to know the owner, otherwise I think it would be cheaper to get your own FFL!:cool:

tc556guy

I only charge $20 per handgun and $15 per long gun; Five of that is to cover the required lock I have to provide with any transfer. I think thats about standard from the threads I have seen in the past.

USMCsilver

Wow, you high dollar guys are taking it bad! I thought my $20 on long guns and $25 on pistols was pretty good. No locks, no BS fees. And there are no calls since I have my CWP. I am now on the venture to aquire my own FFL, but we will see how that turns out. Most likely I will be rejected. But it is worth a try.

tc556guy

USMC:

Your FFL may not be required to sell you a lock with the gun under your states laws, but s/he is required to maintain a supply of locks for sale under Federal Commerce laws. I just renewed my FFL for the 3rd or 4th time, and this was a topic that was specifically brought up in the text of the renewal application.