Talked to a retired Ruger factory tech today

ramp_tech

I ran into a retired Ruger factory worker in my local shop today and had a interesting conversation with the guy.

I was informed that the prototype of Ruger SR9 gone through 7,500 rounds of mix ammo with all the experimental parts without any hiccups and that was one of the most amazing thing he has ever seen in his 36+ years of career in the firearm industry.

He also said that before he retired last December, they had shot more than 60,000 rounds of 9mm through a show-model with all the original parts, and the SR9 performed extremely well in their stress test (I didn't ask what kind of test was it).

BillCA

Hmmm... ever consider that over all those years working in the industry, he just might have a little stock in Sturm-Ruger?

I'll admit that I liked the SR-9 example I examined at a local shop. Felt trimmer than most others and pointed well.

Then I took the magazine out and played around with it. The grip walls are very thin and flex a bit too much for my liking. When field stripped, I had some concerns about the frame flex and how that would affect longevity.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing the gun subjected to 24 hours in -10* environment, then dropped onto concrete.

cavediver27

BillCA "I'd certainly be interested in seeing the gun subjected to 24 hours in -10* environment, then dropped onto concrete."

And what would that "test" prove :confused:

DBAR

BillCA "I'd certainly be interested in seeing the gun subjected to 24 hours in -10* environment, then dropped onto concrete."

And what would that "test" prove

Easy there, he's from Comifornia....

Back on Topic,

I like everything about the Ruger SR9, except for the really bad trigger. Glad to here about their testing. I just wish the trigger was more servicable. It seems like that's one of Rugers short comings. I had to do a trigger job on my GP100, and now it has a real nice feel to it.

a7mmnut

I'd just love to know how a striker-fired DAO went off by itself without the firing pin, spring, and plunger being played with first?:confused:

-7-

Chui

I don't think many of the military spec tests are relevant in the "living world" but I would like to see how well, say, 15 examples of every "serious" pistol model fare. That said, I do like the idea of Overkill for just about everything I purchase - from socks to motor oil.

Don H

Water-Man said:
-10 in CA?
I see that you've never been to Truckee in the winter. Or many other places in the northern mountains of CA. Come to think of it, even Arizona gets colder than -10, in the mountains.

Kyo

that is pretty hot. wish i new how they tested the p345, cause the sr9 was built off that platform

lee n. field

the p345, cause the sr9 was built off that platform

Uhhhh, no.

The P345 is an evolutionary development of the older P series autos. The SR9 is an entirely new design.

At the very least, hammer vs. striker.

BillCA

cavediver27 said:
And what would that "test" prove

For one, it would help determine if the thin, flexible plastic on the grip will stand up to impacts in sub-freezing weather. And yes, in the Sierras it can get down below zero frequently in the winter.

Maybe I was lucky, but the SR-9 I examined had a fairly decent trigger, especially considering it was a Ruger. At least it didn't feel like it was full of sand.

Conradm

I removed the mag DC and cut some coils off of my striker spring. The trigger on my SR9 is as good or better than anything in it's class.

rugerfreak

The frame material for the SR9 is listed as Glass-Filled Nylon and for the P345 is Satin/Checkered Black Synthetic.

Kyo

ahh my bad it is a new platform. I thought it was the same material as the p345.
Yea I understood that it was a striker fired pistol. It does have many similarities to the 45 though. chamber indicator, lockable safety, the 2 halves of each gun look almost identical. I just really thought they copied it to a 9mm and made it a striker fired. Thats what it looks like to me anyway.

AZAK

The frame material for the SR9 is listed as Glass-Filled Nylon and for the P345 is Satin/Checkered Black Synthetic.

Can someone more knowledgeable about this than myself explain the difference?

varoadking

Quote:

Can someone more knowledgeable about this than myself explain the difference?

Different day...different terms...different copywriter...

Waitresses are now servers...stewardesses are now flight attendents.

Can anyone explain the difference?

Stevie-Ray

Waitresses are now servers...stewardesses are now flight attendents.

Can anyone explain the difference?
Too many people that couldn't get used to saying "waiter" and "steward" when the jobs took on more men?:D

30-30remchester

My wife has small hands but can comfortably shoot the Ruger SR9 so I bought her one. It jammed on the second shot. After that it jammed at least 2 times per magazine. I tried 10 different brands of factory ammo and a few reloads. Now after 600 rounds of firing it is getting A LITTLE BETTER. Still fails about 1 time per magazine. Jam = failure to return to battery.

Conradm

Wait, does it do that for you? Cause I could see that happening with your wife is she's limp-wristing. Same thing happened to my wife until I corrected her.