Talk to me about the CX4.

chris in va

Honestly I miss having a 9mm carbine. Mine was a HiPoint but it broke a few times and had to sell it once it got back from the factory.

The CX4 looks like a contender. Not sure if I want a 9mm or 45, depends on whether I can live with an 8 rd mag.

I also have a S&W Sport that could accept a carbine upper but really not sure what route I should take.

skizzums

i also have the hipoint, i havent had the trouble you are having, but i probably will someday. i prefer the taurus ct9 carbine over the beretta, but the above poster is right. a 9mm ar build is far superior to anyones carbine and you can probably get it done for close to the same price. www.model1sales.com has them fully built for 700$ and you could probably build one for 100 or more less than that. if you wanna build one and ost is you main objective, i have been very happy with my omni gen2 polymer lower. i beleive the taurus ct9 is over 600 bucks and you could prob get the ar done for slightly over that.
http://www.taurususa.com/news-detail.cfm?newsID=52

9x19

The CX4 I owned was a good little carbine... good sights, easy to mount optics and good ergonomics. Never had any function issues with mine.

It breaks down easy, is adaptable to left or right hand shooters (hard to make an AR eject to the left), and (with the 92 version) mags are plentiful and inexpensive.

The down-side is you are pretty much stuck with the weapon the way it comes out of the box - no folding stocks, etc. So if you are a tinkerer the Beretta is probably not for you.

I have a pair of Marlin Camp Carbines, each setup with a different after-market stock, and they fill my PCC needs pretty well... so I let the Beretta go awhile back.

skizzums

you could just buy another hipoint and save yourself several hundred dollars. mine is two years old and has AT LEAST 2500 rounds through, probably alot more. most people i know have had the same experience with the hipoint. maybe you just got a dud, could be worth another try. but if your not worried about the cash, i'm sure beretta makes a fine running carbine, i just don't see it worth the money for a plinking toy.

tahunua001

building an AR isn't as simple as swapping uppers and it irritates me how many people seem to perpetuate that belief by never pointing that out. in addition to the upper, you also need a magwell block to accept the mach smaller stick mags as well as a heavy hammer and heavy buffer to deal with the 9mm as it is a blowback design rather than DI.

I own a 9mm AR and I would never trade it for a CX4 but it is not as simple of a trade as most people think. if you want a 9mm AR, it would be best to have a dedicated rifle.

Ibmikey

I would never allow a Hi Point through the front door :) but my friend swears by his. In AR platforms 9mm and .22 just work the best in a dedicated rifle because of the modifications needed, and you get to fill another slot in the gun rack!

Fargazer

My wife and I both enjoy our CX4. Ours has a replacement hammer and trigger, an aftermarket guide rod and buffer, and a Vortex Strikefire. We purchased it during a Beretta promotion at our LGS where they threw in 5 free 9mm PX4 Storm mags.

We make a point of taking it to the range with guests, and almost universally they love it. Fun, accurate, no issues with it at all (at least, that weren't introduced by the shooter :)).

You will find the trigger can vary between individual carbines - some are good, some "eh", none are to write home to mother about - it all depends upon the finish of the individual trigger components. If you feel a need to improve it, PapaSierra has a good set of replacement parts that can make a difference.

Darker Loaf

You can't just switch uppers on an AR. There's too much going on there. You need a new bolt, you need a new mag well or a mag well block on your lower, you likely need a new spring and buffer. People always give other people the impression that "all you have to do is switch the uppers." Supposedly, you can't even do that with a .300 AAC BLK, because you need new springs.

That being said, I think a AR 9mm carbine would be awesome, just with a dedicated upper and lower.

My first choice is from JP Rifles: http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.13_GMR.php It just came out, seems very awesome. It'd be so cool have a JP rifle. I LOVE that it take Glock mags.

Second choice is from Rock River Arms: http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=238 My knock against it is that it takes uzi mags, but seems like a really worked-out rifle. I just trust Rock River Arms as a company. They may not have all the furniture on their rifles that I want, but that's pretty easily remedied.

My third choice is based on prejudice, since I have had no experience with Lonewolf in the AR world, but I like the idea of an AR carbine that accepts Glock mags: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3682

If you read any literature from any of these companies, they will tell you that you cannot just swap uppers.

Finally, I like the idea of the Cx4. It's light, it's ambi, and it uses common pistol mags. I just really like my AR's and prefer Glock mags to Beretta mags. I'm much more likely to buy a Glock over a Beretta. Just my $0.02.

marine6680

I got one the year or after they were first released. Back when they cost about $500... I liked it a lot but ended up selling it. I wasn't a fan of the plastic trigger and hammer, and aftermarket replacement was not an option when I had it. Higher capacity mags for the 9mm are easy to get.

I had a hi point carbine but sold it to get reloading equipment. It was fun to shoot and functioned well... But it was a pig of a gun.

The Taurus looks interesting but the powers that be forbid Taurus from importing the gun with mags that had more than ten rounds or to even make them for sale. Meaning you have to rely on aftermarket to make them. (what I heard any way)

There is also the Keltec carbine, it has the benefit of having mag wells that can use various existing brands of magazines... Just order the one you want.

Another option is the Jr Carbine, I hear the new ones have fixed the early reliability issues. To me it looks more robust than the Keltec, and more comfortable and fun to shoot. Plus it has a lot of control similarities with the AR.

Those options cost less than the Beretta.

tahunua001

skizzums... you do realize that those are KITS right? that is not a complete rifle, that's a build kit minus lower receiver.

Colly

Cx4Love It !

I absolutely love my Beretta CX4!

I shoot competitive "steel plate" with it and do very well!

Mine is in 9mm and I have both 30 and 35 round mags for it which saves a lot of time doing mag switching!

The mags also fit my mod92 FS, so that's a big plus!

It's a very handy firearm, very quick pointing, with lots of available options to hang on its rails.

I guaran damn t you will love it to!:)

Jeff2131

Interesting post...aside from looking into a .50 beowulf ( which IS a "just swap the upper" assem.) Ive been considering a cx4 in .40. I have more .40's then i know what to do with and i was thinking a beretta carbine would be a nice way to blow threw those rounds. Ive seen the cx4 going for $400-$700. I think its an affordable fun toy.

HawkeyeNRAlifer

I have the CX4 in 45 and really like it. I added a couple of spacers to the stock and an upper rail for the reddot. I have quite a few 45 autos and wanted something in the same caliber. If you want the larger cap mags, then 9mm is the way to go. I find it odd that all my pistols hold the same if not more rounds than the long gun.:(
I also have the Hi Point 995 in an ATI stock, which makes it look similar to the Beretta. It has always run perfectly, just like the CX4. Same shortcoming on ammo with my 9mm pistols holding more.
I can't swear to the accuracy, but I've read that the Hi Point 45 carbine will take extended cap 1911 mags with a minor mod to the mag release notch. Now if someone would only make a aftermarket stock for it.:rolleyes:

marine6680

You can get 30 round 9mm mags for the Berreta... Or 25rd ones. Either way, not a bad capacity, the mags fit a Berreta pistol as well, I believe it uses the 92 type mags. Not sure how Berreta is with mag and model interchangeability. Glock is the king there I think.