Talk to me about No Dash 629 8 3/8" Stainless

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
My dad's neighbor has one up for sale with "at least 10lbs of brass". I didn't have time to look it over really well (I'll go through the Revolver Check Out thread if I think I'll buy it).

It appears to be in what I would call "Used Like a Tool" condition. Not abused, not babied.

He wants $450 for the gun, all the brass and his remaining ammo. He can't shoot it any more due to wrist problems.

I mentioned 44spl and he said "You shoot a 44magnum for 44magnum!" Ok, sell the gun then, don't say I didn't tell you!

smee78

Yes, all day long. $450 is great for just about any N frame Smith, pre lock is even better. Just dont make his mistakes and be a real man and develop wrist problems lol.:rolleyes:

BigJimP

I like the 629../ I have a 629 - DX model, I think its a dash 3, in 8 3/8"...and its a nice gun ( not as classic a look as the older model 29's .. -- which I like better -- and I have a model 29-3 8 3/8" Nickel finish, that is a great gun as well )...

But the extra weight forward with the 629 ( full lug under barrel) helps reduce muzzle flip in full power loads ... and yes you can shoot .44 Spl or .44 Mag in it with no issues. I see a few model 629's in 8 3/8" barrels at local gun shows...and prices probably average between $800 - $900 .../ model 29's especially in Nickel are a little more ( maybe up to $ 1.200 ) / blued they are around $1,000.

Price they are offering is good.../ if you like it, buy it.

laytonj1

No dash 629's are a little scarce and have collector value. They were the only 629 with recessed chambers and pinned barrel. $450 is less than half of what they go for.

Jim

Ozzieman

Double that price easy.
And why not shoot specials in it. They compare to a 45 ACP in power and energy plus you can chuck larger bullets.
My 629 has had 10 times more specials than mags. If you want to call me a girly man for it. Well go ahead. 62 and been shooting big bore hand guns for 40 years and my wrists are not an issue. My elbow is another thing. The right one only opens about 80% of the left.