Talk through new rifle load development….

Nathan

So, you get a new rifle, new scope mounted…broken in and confirmed it works by whatever your method is…

So, how do you experience loaders pick components and prove them out to find the best load?

I've usually got a purpose in mind when I get a new gun. That, in turn, narrows my bullet selection. The bullet selection, in turn, suggests powders, especially if the load data source comments on the powders that gave them the best performance. I will often go there first, then look at others. If I have reason to look at others right away (like, because I have some), I will muck about with the interior ballistics software to see what I get.

Shadow9mm

I use a modified version of erik cortinas method.
I work up start to max looking for pressure signs.
I work back down to the velocity range im looking for.
I test seating depth in 0.003 increments. And pick the tightest group.
Done, load a bunch.

Components are based on needs and or application. Do you need a hunting bullet? If so, for what type of game? Pick a bullet, work it up.

For match or precision, my go to are sierra match king. Lapua has a good reputation, and berger is supposed to be the best, outside of custom bullets. Pick a bullet with a bc appropriate for your range, work a load up, see how it shoots.

Last edited:

MarkCO

I don't "break-in" barrels, waste of time and money. I run a solvent patch and a clean patch to make sure any oil or crud is gone. Then I put enough rounds through it to settle the bore. That is usually 25 to 100. Use of a chrono is important. I don't care what the load is, but I DO care if the bullet is made by the same manufacturer of the bullet I want to use. I am picking the bullet based on the distance, target profile, BC and past experience. Most of my barrels are getting 1 bullet. A few get 2 and almost none get more than that unless I run out of bullets and I am forced to change.

Once settled, I start below the mid-point of the load data and do the 10 shot Satterlee Method. Once I pick a node, on to Satterlee 2.0.

Not counting the settling rounds. It usually takes me 20 to 30 rounds to get a load. Most of the time, that is under 1/2 MOA with a single digit SD.

FWIW, a LOT of voodoo is based on uncontrolled parameters. I try to get a control on those. I've found that my best load in a barrel from a manufacturer is usually also the best load in other barrels from the same manufacturer. 5 Bergara 6.5CMs shoot the best load the best. 4 Remington .30-06s shoot the best load the best. But I can't take that Rem .30-06 load and move it to a Win70 and expect it to be the best. The Stretch16, which I make and sell, when customers duplicate my load, they almost never come back and tell me of anything better. When they do it is almost always Vit powder, with Lapua brass and bullets...at 3 times the cost of the load I gave them. Yeah, I have that load worked up. But 0.3" is not worth 3 times more than 0.4" to me. :)

gwpercle

I look in my reloading manual and see what powders are lisred .

I look in my powder closet and see what powders I have .
If I have one of the powders listed I try it .
I don't start at the min. load ... I dion't start at the Max. load ... but start in the middle of those loads at a Mid-range load and load up 10 rounds . Next Load up a few +1 , +2 , +3 grs. and then load up 10 -1 , -2, -3 grains . Then off to the range

Shoot them all carefully onto targets recording loading details and see what produces the best accuracy . After getting that most accurate load you can refine the load even more by doing + / - 0.5 grain loads and shooting for accuracy .

You will be surprised how easy it is to home-in on an accurate load your rifle likes .
Gary

tangolima

Start with whatever available. We don't get to be that choosey nowadays. Get one load going and try to make it shoot.

When more options open up, make another load. So on and so forth till you get tired and move on to something else.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk