Talk me out of the S+W 360PD

Lohman446

Ok I had settled on needing a snub nose revolver. In the past I have had and enjoyed the Smith and Wesson 637. After some deliberation I have basically settled on needing to pick up another one :)

And then I stumbled across the 360PD. My initial reaction was something akin to "there is no way anyone constantly shoots 357 out of one of those". Frankly hot 357 out of my SP101 is plenty.

So I dismissed it in my mind. After all its a couple ounces lighter (for my use weight was a major factor). But it keeps coming back. I can always shoot .38 out of it...

I don't love the sight on the 360PD - in fact its one of the hang-ups I have with it. Is it changeable?

Or is this another one of my trips down the yellow brick road where the 637 is just going to "just right" and this thing is approaching levels of ridiculousness.

CDR_Glock

I'd get a S&W Pro series 640 since it has real sights.

But, I prefer my Kimber K6s since it's a 6 shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had a 340PD. Shot 125 Gr Mags a couple of times, and it was not pleasant. Usually carried .38 Special +P in it. After a few years, traded it in on a Kahr PM9.

Scoits

Have a 360pd and shoot Rem Ultrmate defense 38 +ps. Carry a speed loader with Hornady 357 Critical Defense ammo.
Sights are poor but I use a Crimson Trace and it is no problem to keep all 5 shots on a 3" bull at 10 yds
Would not swap it for anything. With that weight and a Sticky pocket holster it goes everywhere that it can be legally carried.

gnystrom

I won't. As the owner of a Kahr PM9, 340PD, and Kimber k6S, they all have their place. The scandium framed guns from Smith are incredible. Yes, .357's out of them are a handful and probably unnecessary. In my 340PD I carry Speer 135gr. Gold Dot Short Barrel loads. Also, Federal in their HST line now offers a great short barrel load. I went with the 340 only because my intention was pocket carry and I prefer an internal hammer for that use. I also could care less about the sights as the percentages say I will never use them in a SD situation. During well aimed slowfire shots the gun is as accurate as I will ever need.
Overall the 340/360 series if a great choice for super lightweight revolver carry.

20170427_083524_zpsaidpnam2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

smee78

I went with a S&W 638, I like the option to go single action if I want to. As for shooting 357's out of a j frame that is left to the people who like pain. I have dont it a few times but perfer 38+p in my light weight j frames. The 360pd is a fine carry gun, weight is great for all day carry.

I've seen two of the scandium-frame J-Frames suffer catastrophic failures with mild .357 ammunition. This is one.

Dean Spier also has a long writeup on his experiences.

I've shot one. No thanks. You will most likely end up carrying .38's in it, in which case the only advantage to the 3xx series pistols is a few ounces of weight.

Scoits

L446
Go for it no one can tell u not to buy. I dry fire 10 rounds every day and shoot at least 100 handloaded 44 mag rounds/wk [24/30 rds] in a 329 pd.
Practice/familiarity is the answer to most objections of recoil.
I say this, it is lack of practice, practice and practice that folks are neg on the air lights.
Believe me it is a state of mind not a state of physical senses that turn people away from the 340/360s. In a confrontational situation you will not be focusing on hand discomfort, but will be glad you were packing.

Lohman446

I've shot one. No thanks. You will most likely end up carrying .38's in it, in which case the only advantage to the 3xx series pistols is a few ounces of weight.

For my particular application weight is of central import (running with a pistol in a belly band - more weight bounces more). The concern is diminishing returns. If I can live with a few ounces (different then a 637) then I could live with two ounces more than a 637 and go to an LCR in 327 Magnum. But at that point I'm into the weight of a P938 which I am already proficient with and own and then I am getting closer to my SP101 which I already own and am proficient with.

So I get the discussion about weight being the only difference but then I have to figure out where the "cut-off" line for weight being important is.

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

I used to have and regularly carry the Performance Center's "Enhanced" 637. It was a great little revolver but as I was exploring hammerless options, I fell in love with the Ruger LCR. It was much more comfortable to shoot than the Smith & Wesson and even with the cushy grips, it was still easy to carry.

Honestly, I don't like full-power .357 magnum in any lightweight snub. I've spent a little time with the larger LCR 357 and while a little bit better than lightweight J-frames, the same issues apply. I've found a happy middle-ground with the LCR 327. If you don't mind the ammo considerations, it's a great option.

2damnold4this

I really enjoy my 342 (.38 special only) for several reasons. One is the corrosion resistance. The other is that it has a pinned front sight that can be easily changed. The third is the low weight. The slightly lower weight of the 342 over my 642 is nice but the big difference is the pinned front sight. Both have good corrosion resistance and both are relatively light weight.

I wouldn't want to shoot a .357 out of either the 342 or the 642 if I could. My all steel K6s gets the nod if I want .357s out of a snubby. The good news is that .38 special and .38 +p offers some decent power out of a snubby. The 357 does offer a bit more power out of a snubby but the price in recoil and slower follow up shots must be considered, especially in a light weight snubby.

Edit to add: I guess all that rambling could be condensed to "buy it, if you have a good deal"

Last edited:

Nanuk

I had a 360 PD right after they came out. Mine went back to Smith 3 times for a complete rebuild. I was finally told by S&W to not fire magnums in it. The frame flexed so much that the cylinder would bind in the window. The hotter the ammo the more the groups would open up, starting with 38 wadcutters. If I want a LW 38 snubby the 38 versions are 1/2 the price.

405FileFound

3,001 reasons not to buy the 360

Smith and Wesson lists two product entries for the 360.
# 11749 / 14.9 oz / Scandi frame, Steel cylinder / $770
# 163064 / 11.9 oz / Scandi frame, Titanium cylinder / $1019

I own two J-frames, a 23 steel 649 and a 15 oz aluminum 438. I was looking to buy another gun this month, possibly a .22 semi, or used Ruger P95 at the LGS for $300. The urge was overwhelming but Then it hit me, the final cost of gun+transfer fee+new holster for say, a new S&W SD9 or a Shield, is in the $450+ range. Sheesh, for $450-$500 equals 1780 rounds of 38 SPL @ 28 cents/rd. That's 35 boxes of 50 rounds, and at my rate of 4 to 5 range visits, is 4.5 years of shooting. Or that could be 1000 rounds (@ $290) plus a repair of some type.
The avg cost of the two 360 versions is $880. That's 3000 rounds of cheap .38 SPL and years of refining your skill with the existing model 637. Or say, $2000 and a trigger job, new front sight, or grips. I'd say don't do it, provide yourself more usage on your current blaster.
Please update this thread on what you ultimately do!!

UncleEd

I had to look up what a 360 is; I have no opinion as to
its merits.

But since the OP asks to be talked out of it, OK here goes:

What are you, stupid?

Do you want all your family to laugh at you?

Your dog if you have one will creep into a corner with shame.

If you attend a church or a social club and the members learn
of your purchase should you do so, you'll be declared anathema.

If run over on a street, your body will be left to rot and the
buzzards will want no part of you.

And at any range attended for practice, a condescending titter will
arise among one and all.

:D

Lohman446

I'm currently not gaining in negotiations on a 360 on another sight. Hung up on paying credit card fees. It has the old style front sight and the stainless cylinder I'm also hung up on just buying the 360J (38 special only) that can be had for slightly less than the 637.

Update: I'm in the "torn" state of buying another pistol. I really like a lot of things about this particular gun. However my reasoning for buying this particular gun (or a 637) are weight savings for jogging and a concern about four legged creatures and the 9MMs ability to deal with them as I already have a P938 that I am comfortable and proficient with. I already have a SP101 for most revolver applications and a G29 for a normal "woods" gun. So I am left with the "what purpose does this serve". I have considered replacing the P938 with this...

The 938 loaded weighs in at 17.4 ounces LOADED. The 360 I am looking at now (the stainless cylinder) weights in at 13.3 ounces. Five rounds of 38 ammo, according to a quick Google search, weighs in at 2.5 ounces. About 16 ounces (15.8 for those doing the math). We are talking an ounce and a half and less if I went with the 637. I am, to some degree, caught up on the point of stabilizing a revolver (with most of the weight in the cylinder) vs an auto but that is a debate in my head for now. I've also been on a "let's simplify things" kick... which generally means owning less stuff.

So I have toyed with the idea of replacing the P938 AND SP101 with this gun and having it cover double duty. I have gone back and forth on this in my mind a lot. I've spent a lot of time being proficient with the P938 - 9MM practice ammo is much cheaper than 38 special ammo. The CURRENT plan is to let things stand as the are and stick with what I own but that plan has changed, in my mind, twice this morning already. In line with the current plan I have ordered some Xtreme Penetrator 9MM rounds from Underwood to see how they function through the 938. I'm slightly regretting the decision already but can always undo it.

The oddity is I am being stubborn over a 3% credit card fee that is really rather meaningless in the transaction . Its one of those "you have to gain something in negotiations" mental hang-ups.

Last edited:

Scoits

Cutting back on power because of $$$s is not an answer. Keep looking ,be patience, a 357 should be your min as you can then use 38s 38+p or 357. Understand your $$s concern but spend the money up front and cry about it once.
I have a 360 pd and it is a dream for carry whether I am jogging, fishing,hunting or dressed for dinner. Greatest problem I have is: I forget I am carrying it as there are areas where it is not permitted.

Lohman446

The $$ is a secondary concern. The purchase price is not bad - the practice price I can get over. The issue I am running into is the reality that I will likely practice and carry .38 ammo in it - the 9MM actually has the power edge. I have no great desire to light off much 357 in this thing.