Talk me out of PX4 storm constant action.

Ultra12

I posted some questions before about double strike capability of a gun and looks like majority agree it's not that important. What is important to me is that there are no outside safety and that it's always the same pull from first to last round. Esthetics is important as well. That's why I like beretta px4 storm in 9m. I like rotating barrel and the brand. I own few firearms in beretta/ Benelli/ tikka / sako family. Never has a problem with either one. And believe in beretta quality. However a lot of guys with law I forcemeat beck ground keep pulling my to glock. I know they are partial to them but they did bring up few good points. One of the availability of replacement parts, places where the gun can be serviced. Reliability should not be an issue since these are all reputable manufacturers and they stand behind their products so if something does go wrong I am sure they will take care of it.

I made up my mind more or less and I considered glocks, cz, s&w and sig. But decided to go with beretta. I have some time ( about a month)before I buy my next pistol so I wanted to put this gun in front of this panel.

g.willikers

Is the choice of gun really all that important?
Or is getting good with what you have more so?
Just about any good quality gun is suitable.
It's more about what you get used to and practice with.
You obviously like the Beretta, so go for it.

TailGator

Sounds to me like you evaluated your needs and wants pretty thoroughly and settled on Beretta. I have both Berettas and Glocks. Both are good pistols. As for the availability of parts and accessories, there are probably more for the Glocks, but there is not a scarcity for Beretta, either. If the Beretta is what you want, go with it.

Seems like your mind is set on Beretta already.

It's all up to you. I can give my opinion on this matter if you didn't already have your mind set.

Just train!

Don P

I had 2 PX4's, one in 9mm and the other in 40 S&W.
Bad trigger sting with the 40 and the 9mm would not decock with a full mag from the left side of the pistol, from the right side worked fine. The slide on the 9mm also has a little more than 1/16" play up and down at the back of the slide to frame fit with a loaded mag in the gun. Both guns were purchased within 6 months of being introduced to the public and both were decock only.
Both guns are long gone. Not knocking Beretta just the PX4. I have 2 92fs's and a 950 jetfire and will keep those.

ClydeFrog

Nothing wrong with a C(constant action) format....

There is 0 wrong with a PX4 Storm in C(constant action).
I purchased a NIB unused PX4 9x19mm in 2009 with the C format & Super-Luminova sights(get bright when you expose them to a light source).
I only fired around 350rds through it but I had 0 problems.
The C version is safe, easy to carry & you avoid false complaints of "cocking" the spur or being reckless in a lethal force incident.

Id buy another C version Beretta PX4 & if I could Id get the newer full ambi Compact in C. It has all controls on both sides(safety, slide release, magazine release). The C model PX4s are rare. I bought my pistol for $500.00 USD.

FWIW; I used Winchster Ranger T 124gr +P JHP as a carry load, ;) .
In 2013, Id suggest the Hornady Critical Duty +P 135gr or maybe the Ranger T T Series 127gr +P+ JHP.
Clyde

Mr_Jumper

I have a PX4 9mm Compact converted to G (decock only) with stealth levers. I hated the safety and batwing levers, cured both with 1 swap.

1500+ rds down pipe so far, zero failures with many various ammo.

Pro: Reliable, accurate, soft recoil, very good ergo.

Con: Fitment is bit loose.

Elerius

I've shot the Px4 in .45 pretty extensively. The gun performs perfectly, and I like the fact that they retain the hammer fired system even when moving to a polymer frame. Too many people worship Glock like no other pistol exists... IMO go with the Beretta

Crankgrinder

my px4 9mm is a da/sa. but I can tell you it has performed flawlessly. I don't shoot a whole lot of ammo anymore but Ill bet ive got 5000 rounds through it that never had a hang up that was not attributed to my handloads having a bad primer every now and then (federals). never had a problem with the safety location or its design as it was my first pistol purchase (bought it in the first barackalypse and a glock 19 could not be found.) I always just became accustomed to the gun I used at the time and just got used to their safeties so it never bothered me.

HKGuns

Make sure you can reach all the controls. I was ready to buy one last year but the controls didn't suit my tastes or finger reach.

LockedBreech

No way I'm talking you out of easily the most proven gun in my collection. We're coming up on the 10,000 round mark without ever so much as a hiccup - and believe me when I say I have tried to get the thing to choke. Mine, at least, seems immune to cheap ammo, any hollowpoint shape, filth, and limp-wristing.

Armed_Chicagoan

I have a PX4 Compact Type F in .40, about 1500 down the pipe so far never had a failure of any sort. It just works with anything I throw at it, if there's ammo out there it doesn't like I haven't found it yet.

The slide-mounted safety/decocker ever bothered me, I typically leave the safety off when in ready to fire state with the initial DA trigger pull all the safety necessary IMO. And I like the ability to decock if necessary but if you like the Type C go for it.

Ultra12

After month of research and waiting I finally found and ordered NIB Px4 storm type C in 9. A lot of web searching. 9 is a rare animal when it comes to type c most of the ones I saw on line where 40. And no lgs had type c of any kind. Even spoke to beretta which made me disappointed. For a company that prides themselves in having one of the most known names in the world to have such " don't give a sh1t " attitude. After calling dozens of authorized dealers I found on their website I called the corporate office and asked them to locate me a type c I even offered to pay for a special order. I was told by a woman who had no idea what I was talking about and had to placed me on hold and went to ask some one, that beretta no longer makes type c. I asked why is it on their website? I was told that " website doesn't get updated regularly and has wrong information" WHAT? Are you kidding me? Beretta does not update their website ? ***? How do you run a business in 2013 with wrong info. It's not a moms and pop store it's beretta? Regardless I was very disappointed in customer service. I was also told they have no way of knowing who has that model because they don't keep track of their inventory. I found a shop in Florida that had one and I jumped on the opportunity and bought it. Should be here (lgs) on Tuesday. I ll post a range report shortly.

LockedBreech

After month of research and waiting I finally found and ordered NIB Px4 storm type C in 9. A lot of web searching. 9 is a rare animal when it comes to type c most of the ones I saw on line where 40. And no lgs had type c of any kind. Even spoke to beretta which made me disappointed. For a company that prides themselves in having one of the most known names in the world to have such " don't give a sh1t " attitude. After calling dozens of authorized dealers I found on their website I called the corporate office and asked them to locate me a type c I even offered to pay for a special order. I was told by a woman who had no idea what I was talking about and had to placed me on hold and went to ask some one, that beretta no longer makes type c. I asked why is it on their website? I was told that " website doesn't get updated regularly and has wrong information" WHAT? Are you kidding me? Beretta does not update their website ? ***? How do you run a business in 2013 with wrong info. It's not a moms and pop store it's beretta? Regardless I was very disappointed in customer service. I was also told they have no way of knowing who has that model because they don't keep track of their inventory. I found a shop in Florida that had one and I jumped on the opportunity and bought it. Should be here (lgs) on Tuesday. I ll post a range report shortly.

I'm close to being a fanboy for Beretta, my family owns a large stable of Beretta products and I think they make fantastic, durable, reliable, classy firearms.

That said, I will be the first to admit that the customer service needs a major overhaul. I called once with a question and was pretty put off.

I think you'll really enjoy your PX4 now that the hunt is over. :)

Gats Italian

Lol. I am a huge Beretta fan, but of the guns, not their CS employees. If you own a Beretta, you have to get on the biggest dedicated forum to the brand in order to know anything remotely solid about the company's inner workings and general policies.

RBid

My PX4 full size is DA/SA, and I can't say enough great things about it! I LOVE the double action trigger pull on that thing! As soon as I first handled it, I knew that trigger would be an asset. I can honestly say that I use my PX4 at least 3 times each week-- possibly more than either of my Glocks.

Wait, wait, wait.... I may have gotten ahead of myself. We were talking about using one of these for dry fire, right? Using that stinky DA pull to intentionally challenge ourselves and develop trigger control?

If you were talking about live fire, uhhh...

I mean, yeah. It goes bang. So... there's that, right? Looks GREAT with the lights off, too. Seriously. In pitch black, it looks exactly like a custom 1911.

LockedBreech

My PX4 full size is DA/SA, and I can't say enough great things about it! I LOVE the double action trigger pull on that thing! As soon as I first handled it, I knew that trigger would be an asset. I can honestly say that I use my PX4 at least 3 times each week-- possibly more than either of my Glocks.

Wait, wait, wait.... I may have gotten ahead of myself. We were talking about using one of these for dry fire, right? Using that stinky DA pull to intentionally challenge ourselves and develop trigger control?

If you were talking about live fire, uhhh...

I mean, yeah. It goes bang. So... there's that, right? Looks GREAT with the lights off, too. Seriously. In pitch black, it looks exactly like a custom 1911.

You COULD sell it if you hate the trigger and aesthetics

aarmel732

I have a PX4 in constant action and .40. My first new gun was a .0 CZP07 Duty, and it was loud, and kicked like a mule. But I like the grips and trigger. A deal came up on armslist with an ffl in the area selling police trade in PX4 constants for $300. I figured I couldn't go wrong. They were all scratched up from holstering and unholstering, but all mechanically very good. Very few wear marks internally, but externally ugly. I liked the night sights.

Like I said, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Let me tell you, that is an understatement. This gun, buy a HUGE margin, is the best one I own. It is dead nuts accurate. The recoil is so light, the sights are good, it is a little top heavy, but not bad, and that is not even the best part.

This gun showed me I was a bad shooter. Starting with the 40 in the CZ, I had developed a MAJOR flinch and I didn't even know it. With the long trigger pull in the beretta I would jerk the gun up like it was recoiling when I thought it was going to fire and yet, no bang. It was me. This gun taught me to slow down, how to work the trigger, not be afraid of the bang, and take my time. Once I practiced, I got it, and accuracy with everything went way up.

I got rid of that CZ. I own a 1911 now, and some 92/96's and a nice revolver, and a few 22's. But that pig ugly scratched up beretta, she is still the first one out at the range, and the last one to put away. It is my nightstand gun because I know it will work, and it will hit what it is pointed at. So what started out as a thought of you can't go wrong, has turned into I can't imagine how it could go more right.