Talk me out of buying a Mosin 91/30

longcoldwinter

Been looking at the 91/30, there just so cheap right now and I would mind having a big boomer of a rifle. Problem is once I buy it I'll be compled to buy up some surplus ammo when I should be stocking up on ammo for my AK, plus the wife will have a fit when she sees a new rifle.

So tell me the horror stories you had with the 91/30 may I be able to resist :eek:

jaguarxk120

It's a ugly thing - finish lousy - carbines shoot like flame throwers with the short barrel, ect.ect.ect ect. Go buy one it, does not eat, when you part with it, it will be worth more than what you paid for it. Just leave it as is, make no changes. Take it and shoot the hell out of it, a fun gun! Tom F.

kozak6

The safety is stupidly difficult to activate and deactivate.

The triggers tend to be weird.

Surplus ammo might be difficult to find locally.

The stocks are absolutely soaked in preservative grease.

When firing deliciously cheap surplus steel cased ammo, it's rather common for the bolt handle to stick. And sometimes it REALLY sticks.

The steel buttplate may give you bruises.

The bolt is clumsy to operate.

Good stripper clips are hard to find.

ndking1126

I shot one and wasn't terribly impressed. It had quite a kick (no suprise there) and it was fairly innacurate, even at short distances. And to top it off the ammo is non-corrosive. My question is why do you want one?

I honestly just don't see the point...

chris in va

For some odd reason, I can't bring myself to sell my M38. It's just so darn brutal. My Russian friend calls it a Man's Gun.

Hey, just get one. If you don't like it, sell it for what you paid. Just be sure to find one cheap, like $100. Gander Mountain is trying to sell their M44's for $150.:rolleyes:

I dunno why I never have gotten one of these. Snobbyness most likely, but I'm going to get a M-44. I missed all the Enfields and Mausers that could once be had for this price. It's a tough, historic battle rifle, no doubt the cheapest firearm available in America today. We're not talking a zinc .25 either, these have .30-06 level power. They have most likely been fired to desired effect in the greatest War this planet has ever seen. Afraid it will be an eyesore next to your rifles not purchased due to giveaway prices? Good. Keep it in your trunk and have a high powered rifle with you wherever you go.
You can always use a hard-knocks rifle that will work. get this, and a case at your earliest convenience. I don't even really want one but they won't be to be had at this price forever.
When they're 3x the price you'll be sorry you didn't. I already got two expensive guns on layaway (600. to go for both) and a third about to order, but thinking this week I'll pick up a M-44 unless Dunham's still has Ishapore Enfields in the 120. range which I doubt. As of a couple months the 91/30's were routinely sale priced 70.-80.

Dezynco

Sorry, I can't help talk you out of one either! Me and three friends all went in together and ordered 4 of them a week or so ago. We've all been surprised at the accuracy (granted not a hair-splitter), but pretty dang good. If you find one that's not beat all to heck and back, like an un-issued one, they actually don't look too ugly. The price is so cheap on thm right now, it's hard not to pass one up! I like to handload my own ammo, so even ammo is not an issue for me.

chow chow

Its what Vasily Zaitsev used in killing so many Germans in the battle of Stalingrad. Its a hoot to shoot as well.

Just an advise , get u a Finn made M 39. It is right there par with the 1903 A3s, K 31s and Swedish mausers. And it has the mosin nagant receiver.

Dezynco

From what I've been told (I'm new to the Mosin Nagant too), the Finn M39 is the best, but they are much more expensive, relatively speaking. I saw one in a sales flyer that was a touch over $300.00. The 91/30's are only $100.00 or so, so I may add one of those to my collection.

Right now I have a M44 carbine, and really enjoy shooting it. The ammo for it is still fairly cheap, and bulk surplus is still available at a reasonable price. I've seen ammo as cheap as $100.00 for two 440-round cans!

Also, the rifles are cheap enough that you don't mind adding goodies to them, if you choose. I don't figgure they'll ever be extremely valuable, but the value will go up as they become harder to find.

10-96

OK. Don't buy one.

Now that we have that out of the way- I'm wanting to get back into them too. This time, I want both the round receiver and the hex receiver. Any particular one you're leaning towards?

Actually I wouldn't call the mosin nagant a cheap piece of crap. Yes they can be inaccurate... but that gun is hard to break (through some torture tests and abusive use).

They'll pretty much shoot no matter what. They were designed like they were because the Soviet Union's troops were uneducated conscripts, and most of them didn't even know how to read. The gun was made simple because the Soviet Union drafted (did some research a while back... I'll try to get back to you on the citations) most of it's active army. Now, every one of it's capable male citizens has to serve between 2-6 years.

The mosin nagant is one of the simplistic designs because it had to be easy for the conscripts to get the picture about using this gun. Even though a lot of us are trashing on this gun, we probably shouldn't because this gun served in multiple wars, and helped US win world war two and defeat Nazism. Each gun has it's purpose, and the Mosin Nagant fulfilled that purpose profoundly.

Also, keep in mind that the soldiers they were assigned to didn't clean them regularly or relatively shoddy cleaning at best. Not only that, a lot of the ammo used in the rifle was corrosive. Combine that with melting snow on/in a warm barrel and having the bore getting rusty, and eventually pitting.

I have a mosin nagant m44 which I like a lot. It's more accurate than a lot of similar rifles I have shot. My M44 gets (well got, before a dip**** friend of mine dropped it, knocking the rear sight base loose...) about 2.5" to 3.5" groups at 100 yards depending on ammo.

That was a funny story about that friend of mine. We'll just call him Dip.
I asked Dip if he'd like to shoot my rifle. He's shot some before, and I could see that he looked a little sick with heartache with not being able to shoot me Mossie!
He jumped at the chance and I handed him the rifle, extended the bayo so he could be as accurate as possible, and when he pulled the trigger, the noise and the recoil startled him and he dropped it, and sure enough, it hit the corner of the table on the rear sight base knocking it about 20 degrees off to the right. I couldn't be too mad at him, because I picked the rifle up, cycled it, asked if he liked it, which he did, lol. I put the sights on the bullseye, pulled the trigger, and sure enough, the gun was off, but not as bad as I would think... it was 4 inches to the right consistently at 100 yards. I ain't too mad, and a reallignment/silver soldered fix will cost about 40 bucks. I just have to find the time to do it, not to mention bills aren't going to relent anytime soon, lol. Until then, I'm going to have to compensate for being four inches to the right.

Rampant_Colt

Skeeter1 said:
You buy cheap junk, you get cheap junk. 'Nuf said?
:rolleyes:
Spoken by someone who's never fired or handled one...

@ LCW - get it! Ammo is cheap, plentiful and readily available. With all of the 7.62x54 military firearms chambered in that cartridge, i don't predict any ammo stockpiles drying up like the 8mm ammo did. And who can't afford NOT to have a rifle that shoots cheap ammo ?

straightpull

Talking out of buying Mosin 91/30

The Yugo 24/48 is better for the money! 91/30's rimmed ammo has a chance to get jammed. 7.62x54R surplus are not as dirt cheap anymore. Worst of all, once you get one, you'll probably buy another. This could mean doubling up on your ammo stock which in turns pulls you further away from your plans with AK.
By the way, I have 6 91/30s and 8 M-39. I am still trying to convince myself to sell some and get ammo for my VZ-58.

jdc1244

The safety is stupidly difficult to activate and deactivate.

The triggers tend to be weird.

Surplus ammo might be difficult to find locally.

The stocks are absolutely soaked in preservative grease.

When firing deliciously cheap surplus steel cased ammo, it's rather common for the bolt handle to stick. And sometimes it REALLY sticks.

The steel buttplate may give you bruises.

The bolt is clumsy to operate.

Good stripper clips are hard to find.

All correct – now go buy one! :D

chow chow

In the 1980s, I remember a pic taken by Times Magazine showing an Afghan Muhaheed armed with Enfields , AKs and lots of Mosin Nagant 91.30s. Yeah, i wish I could still find that picture if its in the internet. It was cool knowing these were considered relics of the SOviet Union.