Tale of Two HNDY Bushmasters.... (brass)

mehavey

Interesting surprise today as I was preparing to load some cast for my Ruger/American/22"/Predator

450 Bushmaster
245gr SP

Bushmaster-Brass-HNDY-245gr-SP-v-250gr-FTX.jpg

450 Bushmaster
250gr FTX

.... hmmmmm :cool:

I think that's the surprise he is referring to unless it is the fact some of the primers have left the stage.

Just as you now find 45 Auto in both small and large primer pocket brass, so it can occur with other cartridges. Given that primers are still in high demand, it wouldn't surprise me if it is a strategy to keep production going when one size is more scarce than the other. If you buy primers in large quantities, it may also be cheaper to buy small ones.

That said, I notice one other thing: If you look at the perimeters of the large primer pockets, there appear to be imprints of ring crimps on them that I am not spotting on the small primer pockets. So maybe the change was to address a problem with the large primers having more propensity to back out and hang things up.

mehavey

UncleNick ---

No problem in depriming/repriming/reloading or shooting the Large pocket cases -- or any primer backout.
It was when starting to reload what turned out to be small pocket cases that the 'what-in-the-world' moment occurred.

Same cartridge/same manufacturer/~same bullet weight/same velocity/same brass -- what on earth possessed them to mix primer sizes ?

Sevens

This is only partially related but Hornady (ammo) is the same company that sells factory ammo with cartridge cases -NOT- at SAAMI standard length as they load them with proprietary bullets and aim for a similar COAL and they land there by using non-standard brass.

So seeing evidence that they also dink around with primer pocket size shouldn't be a shock. But like you, I'd also be surprised to see that.

Hornady plays it fast and loose.

reddog81

I've never heard of 450 BM brass with large pockets. From the beginning it was designed for use with small rifle primers. But with shortages and what not it doesn't surprise me.