Tale of a Gun

kraigwy

About 1976 I was working as a cop in Anchorage. I had decided to go Elk hunting on Afognak Island. A friend of mine and fellow cop said I shouldn’t go alone and offered to go with me. I asked if he had a rifle and he said he did, a 1903 Springfield.

Before I made a commitment I wanted to see him shoot so we scheduled a trip to the range. He shows up with a sporterized 1903A3, chambered for 308 Norma. That should work, except he had 308 Winchester ammo. I questioned the ammo bit and he told me 308 is 308.

Also I commented on the fact he had no scope nor iron sights, his reply was, Moose are big, you don’t need sights…………….I made my elk hunting trip alone.

Fast forward a few years. Another cop asked me about the above rifle and my friend was selling it. I told him the 1903a3 was a good rifle and the 308 Norma would work fine but he’d have to put a scope or some sort of sights on it. He bought the rifle and got a scope.

Now, again, fast forward a few more years (total time period is about 10 years) another friend, both a cop and member of my NG unit gets offered the gun. Being quite a bit smarter than the other two says he wants me to check out the gun before he buys it.

I take the gun home, and found that whoever re-chambered the gun “forgot” to open up the bolt face. I did that for him, checked the headspace (which was fine), took the rifle out and found it shot quite well (though it kicked a bit, it was made too light for the Norma mag. In my opinion.

Never trust what people tell you about a gun, also gunsmith's work should be checked.

People are funny creatures.

.308 Norma Magnum?

Is the 1903A3 action large enough to handle that cartridge?

And, how could rounds be chambered, let alone fired, if the bolt face wasn't opened up?

At the very least that would lead to no extraction, failures to fire, etc.

kraigwy

It wouldn't chamber until the bolt face was openned up. But after that it worked fine.

The 03A3 could handle the 308 Norma once that was done.

Except for being a "too light weight" rifle, it worked well. Acurate but more recoil then I liked.

Smokey Joe

Never underestimate...

the amount of misinformation available.

"Well, I own the darn thing. I should know all about it. And YOU don't know a thing, Mr. Smarty Pants!" UH-HUH! :D

Been led down that path a time or 2 myself. You just smile, and shrug, and keep yourself clear of the possible KB.

ltc444

Says something for the quality of the old military actions.

Got my son a 30-06 built on a 03 action. It was so sweet that I almost did not give it to him.

plumbernater

Whats odd to me is why any one would want to change the chambering from 30-06. It seems that the 30-06 is what all other cartriges are compared to, and the 03 is a nice piece of work out of spring field armory.

ndking1126

Kraig,

On a serious note, if you ever need an elk hunting partner, let me know! I'd love to go out with someone with all the experiences you have. I've got a .30-06 and unlike your first friend, I can certainly pass the marksmanship test. I'm still young and in shape, that won't be a problem either.

Nathan

:D

T. O'Heir

The days of most cops being 'gun guys' were long over, even in 1976. That guy ever your 'back up' at work? Just curious.
"...Is the 1903A3 action large enough..." Yep. Except the .308 Norma is a belted case that's 451 thou longer than a .30-06., but a 90 thou shorter OAL.
"...young and in shape..." Sherpa. snicker.

HiBC

Given how many hands that rifle went through,it is possible the bolt it had in it when it came to you was not the bolt that was in it when it was chambered.If I had to bet,I would bet the smith who built the rifle had some degree of competency to do the work,and the aquaintance that said "308 is 308" might be your problem.Maybe he actually fired a 7.62 nato and it wouldn't extract,and he held a 7.62 nato to the bolt and said"Looky there,consarn bolt face is too big!" and back then there were buckets of Springfield bolts for $3.50 apiece.
It is true that a lot of DCM Springfields inspired the creativity of their new owners.Skill levels varied a lot,so the Bishop and Fajen stocks were not typically well bedded or shaped to clean,elegant lines.Sometimes the drill press eyeball drill and tap jobs were a bit ragged,etc.OK,some poor work was done by the inexperienced.
But I think it is not right to refer to those days as the stone age of gunsmithing.It would be more correct to say it was the Golden Age of bolt action gunsmithing.

kraigwy

it is possible the bolt it had in it when it came to you was not the bolt that was in it when it was chambered.

Nah, that dummy didn't have enough since to figure out the bolt change. He was in a gun buying stage for investments. He had no ideal which gun would go up in value, and what wouldn't. He certainly wouldn't figure out that another bolt would fix the not chambering problem.

I could come up with a small book on stories about that guy and guns, great guy, just not a gun person.

What got me to thinking about this, My granddaughter, in cahoots with a couple of my kids and wife want me to write a book about my life experiences (for family history only).

I was writing about this fellow and thought I'd put the part about the Springfield here for "poops and grins". The story pretty much went as I posted it. What I didn't add is the Third owner in the story is a pretty sharp guy. He retired from APD as a Captain, and stayed in the Guard. He is currently the Adjutant General for the Alaska National Guard.

I got some good stories about him too, but I'm saving them for his retirement party and roast.

Krigway:

When the 308 Norma magnum was developed it was, other than the 300 H&H, the only thirty caliber magnum in town. The 300 Winchester hadn't been developed yet. My 1903A3 has been rechambered to 308 Norma and it is one of my most accurate rifles.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited: