Takedown hole in Mauser stock

ibfestus

A silly little question... I have a junk, cutdown, Turkish Mauser stock that I am experimenting with. Is it possible to remove the metal in the bolt takedown hole without ruining the metal or the stock? I have uses for both.

Last edited:

F. Guffey

I have a spanner type tool for removing for removing the 'nut'. After removing the nut it should be a matter of driving it out the opposite side. It is always neater to use a driver with a shoulder while the driver is centered.

F. Guffey

James K

Member In Memoriam
It's not clear if the OP means the bolt takedown hole through the middle of the buttstock (two round discs and a tube) or the concave end of the recoil lug ahead of the magazine.

If the former, the discs are pushed on over the tube then the tube swaged out to hold the discs on. The way to remove the assembly would be to make a round tool with a sharp shoulder an inch or so from the end. The small end fits the tube while the shoulder is of the right size to contact the end of the tube without contacting the disc. Then drive out the tube from one side.

If that is not feasible, you can always just drill the tube out and then make a new tube to replace it if necessary.

Jim

ibfestus

Thanks JK

I read somewhere years ago, the hole in the middle of the butt stock Is there to aid in disassembling the bolt and, yes. your answer is exactly what I needed. Thanks for the help.

Clark

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
All those links seem to indicate that the hole was for bolt disassembly. For years, some folks have insisted that it was, or was also, used for securing rifles in cases or in barracks rifle racks. Maybe, but its primary purpose seems to have been for bolt disassembly, as was the hole in the cup type buttplate. If the stock hole was used for a securing rod, the use of a hole in the buttplate would negate that purpose.

Jim