Tack Driver?!?

jason_iowa

I would like to pick up a nice revolver in the thousand dollar range. I would like a .357 or .44 mag. But could be convinced of a 460 due to the ability to shoot 454 or 45 colt through it.

I know that's a huge range.

Main uses would be hunting and target shooting.

I'm guessing smith or ruger will be my only brand options in that price range. Do I need to go with an 8in barrel? Are any of the listed rounds inherently more accurate then others? I don't hand load so I would be relying on factory ammunition.

jason_iowa

My uncle does have reloading equipment for all but the 454 and 460 and 454 may be something he gets in the near future. So material costs and maybe some books and a whole lot of time learning reloading would be the only obstacles to doing hand loads.

Sheikyourbootie

If you only shoot factory fodder, then a 44 mag or .357 might be your ticket. Here is my most accurate revolver in the .357 flavor...the S&W model 627. The extra heft tames even the most nasty recoil:

target.jpg

Of course, if you hand load...the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, in 45 LC (LINEBAUGH/COLT) is no slouch either:

IMG_7079_edited-1.jpg

Accurate, with big arse boolits to boot!
IMG_7074_edited-1.jpg

PunchinPaper

I would recommend one of these :
S&W 586 / 686 - Blue / Stainless 357 Mag.
S&W 29 / 629 - Blue / Stainless 44 Mag.

You should be able to pick one up used / like new + a bunch of ammo for your $1000. If you want a Brand new revolver you can find either of the above around your price range if you shop around.
If hunting is your main purpose I would go with the 44.

ThomasT

Of course, if you hand load...the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, in 45 LC (LINEBAUGH/COLT) is no slouch either

The LC stands for "Long Colt" not linebaugh/Colt. The Long Colt was picked up because there were shorter 45 rounds available that would fit 45 colt revolvers. The Long Colt was not an official name for the 45Colt round.

Any quality gun will usually have a couple of super accurate loads if you take the time to taylor a load for it. Sometimes you get lucky and find a factory load that gives all the accuracy you can handle. Most guns will group better than the people who are shootng them.

Sheikyourbootie

The LC stands for "Long Colt" not linebaugh/Colt. The Long Colt was picked up because there were shorter 45 rounds available that would fit 45 colt revolvers. The Long Colt was not an official name for the 45Colt round.

Rat,, you obviously missed the sarcasm font with my purposeful misuse, of the misused term "Long Colt"

I KNOW that there was never an official "long colt" designation. I chose "Linebaugh/Colt" to poke fun of the LC misnomer, as well as poking fun at those who are anal enough to constantly/compulsively point out the fact it's a misnomer...as I use 45 load data from John Linebaugh with enough H110 to drive those 325 Grain slugs to 1300fps (I have gone to 1400, but the rounds didn't group as tight as the rounds loaded to 1300fps)

Just having a little fun. :p

BigJimP

Depends on what you want to hunt ...in terms of caliber selection...but a good S&W in .357 mag or .44 mag ..are certainly 'tack drivers' ..especially in single action. N frames are my favorite ...but nothing wrong with a K or L frame either...especially in a 6" or 8 3/8" for very accurate shooting.

I'm a revolver junkie ...but

here are some of my .357 mags...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61640&d=1279815714

and here are some .44 mags...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61641&d=1279815714

and here is a pair of N frames - model 27's a 6" and a 4" in Nickel ...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75418&d=1321299925

ThomasT

Rat,, you obviously missed the sarcasm font with my purposeful misuse, of the misused term "Long Colt"

Sounds good Sheiky. I have scratched my head several times over abbreviations used in the gunworld and thought you might have gotten bad info. And I did miss the sarcasm font. I didn't know there was one of those. :eek:

Getting 1300-1400fps from a 325gr bullet is pretty good. That should do everything you want to do with a hand cannon.

laytonj1

For 1K, or a wee bit more, you could get a used field grade Freedom Arms in 454. A powerhouse and tackdriver in one.

Jim

roaddog28

For 1K, or a wee bit more, you could get a used field grade Freedom Arms in 454. A powerhouse and tackdriver in one.
+1 on this. Freedom arms is the class of the field but a person will pay it.
Regards,
Howare

OkieGentleman

Tack Driver

Why did I not hear any mention of a 6 inch Python? :rolleyes: Beautiful weapon, will handle any load, can drive tacks at 25yds and the cylinder turns in the correct direction. :D Used about $1000.

cws515

The Smiths are good but I've also had good luck with the Rugers. A Ruger Super Redhawk in 7.5 or 9.5 inch barrel length can be picked up in 600-700 range used. They should come with the Ruger scope rings as well. Sometimes the seller will even leave the scope on it. (usually its a cheapo) If you're going to target shoot but not reload I would stick with a .44 mag. If not so much on the target shooting but mainly hunting maybe look at the bigger calibers. A .44 mag delivers a lot of energy and will put a bad hurt on most anything in North America you can hunt, but there is something to be said about the bigger calibers. Unfortunately the big caliber does nothing if you can't place the shot where it is needed.:)

tex45acp

I have always wondered why Ruger never made a 4" in the Redhawk. I have hunted whitetail here in Texas with my 7.5" Leuopold scoped Redhawk in my favorite caliber of 41 magnum, and wanted a 4" for closer in shots as well. A few years ago I found a 5.5" Redhawk and took it home and cut the barrel to 4", recrowned the muzzle and installed a new front sight. A gun that had decent accuracy now had exceptional accuracy and was much more comfortable to carry. Here is the results of my favorite 41 magnum factory load.

HPIM0734.jpg

4INCHREDHAWKTARGET.jpg

Crankgrinder

325gr .45lc @ 1300 you say!? man how do you keep it from leading up? strap cutting etc? i have to say that seems like an outrageous load for such a heavy weight but i am not by any means an old pro. great looking revolvers you guys have!

Sheikyourbootie

Nope Crank...no leading at all. those are plain based bullets too boot. What WILL make the barrel lead like mad, is one or more narrowed throats. Google "John Linebaugh" He did a lot of research on the 45 colt.