TA33 GH Observations/Review

Crow Hunter

I posted this a while ago on a couple of other forums and I have seen a couple of questions about optics here. I thought others might find it interesting/useful. Hope you enjoy.

Please feel free to comment/argue.:D;)

I recently sold my TA33 GH and several people asked me why. They were in the market for one and wanted to know my opinion on it. Just in case there are others out there, I thought I would combine most of the PMs into one post and put them out for everyone to argue with me about.

Things I like

-Outside between dawn and dusk it is great. Any ambient light at all and it glows very visibly and it automatically adjusts if you walk into/out of shade.

-No batteries

-Extremely clear/bright glass. Phenomenally bright actually.

-Outside, during the day it felt just as fast as my Aimpoint. This is all “feel” I don’t have a way to time it.

-I love the reticle. One of the things my brother and I do is get "jocked up" (basically just my G19 and a Eagle Chest rig with 6 mags in it) and walk about a mile or so into an empty field (after planting season)and shoot at targets from 100 to 550 or so yards. The Aimpoint is not as easy to use compared to his Eotech XPS which has the the reticle that has an extra dot for a "BDC" which is a very useful reference point for shooting out a long ways. Even though the TA33 BDC doesn’t match for a 16” AR, having those reference points wonderful for walking in shots.

-I use an Aimpoint M4s and from 11am to 1pm I have to have the reticle at setting 15 to make it really noticeable. (one away from max) I think sometimes that I would rather have a 4 MOA dot. I worry in a TEOTWAWKI scenario that the batteries will be dead quick since the "8 year" battery life is only good at setting 12 and I am 3 settings higher. The fiber optic and reticule size on the TA33 makes it very bright and noticeable.

-The TA33 is EMP proof. The Aimpoint MIGHT be but the TA33 IS. Not that this is something I worry about, much…

-I could see through the glass without my glasses on, the reticle is fuzzy but the view through the optic is clear. Kind of weird actually.

Things I don’t like

-Inside, it doesn't do so well for me. It doesn't do well at all behind a flashlight for me. Sure, it turns black but that is invisible against complex or mottled surface like a stone fireplace. Against solid colors like a black TV screen the green is visible and against a white wall the black reticule is visible. I could somewhat overcome that by covering up the objective. But it still is only as bright as the tritium, which means it is visible if you look for it, not stand out draw my eye to it bright. It is basically the same as having night sights on my handgun behind a flashlight. Yes I can see them, and they work if I look for them but they don’t jump out and draw my eye to them.

-The BAC works for me, but only when the reticule is very bright, which means inside and in the dark is not very good, even with a cover on the objective to use as a OEG, it is still difficult for me to see.

-The tritium glows back through the fiber optic as well. So if you have your rifle slung in front of you, there is a dim but visible line right on your chest. Visible to even non dark adjusted eyes. I noticed this when passing a mirror walking through my house playing with it and a flashlight, it is pitch black in my house.

-I used the stock TA60 mount which is good for the height when standing but even then the FSB gets in the way depending on head position. If I got right up NTCH it pretty much disappeared but the further back on the stock I got (even just a little bit) the FSB becomes much more prominent. Much more than just a "Blur" more like an evil FSB ghost haunting the optic that you can see through.

-I also didn’t like the TA60 mount on and off method. If I ever had to get the optic off quick, it wouldn't be very fast, especially not compared to a Larue throw lever.

-From about 10 am to about 2 pm CST the sun causes a bad reflection on my FSB that greatly exacerbated its distraction. (Like a miniature ghost with a Surefire shining it in your eye) I used a Sharpie to darken the back of my FSB post and ears and it helped some but it was still a lot more than a "little blur" in the bottom of the FOV (everyone else must have better eyes than me, I had problems with the TR24 too). This was with the optic butted up to the front of my Troy BUIS, it was better if I ditched the rear BUIS. I also don’t shoot NTCH, I am about 1 inch back, that probably didn’t help matters. I have tried shooting NTCH, but my natural point of aim is right at an inch off the charging handle.

-I would have to use Butler Creek scope covers which are cheap and flimsy and pop open just sitting in the safe (based on my experience with hunting rifles). I have owned 5 sets of them and only one set that I got years ago has been worth a crap.

-While playing around I noticed that in the prone position, I had a lot of trouble getting a good view through the optic, I kept getting half moons through it or no view at all unless I held my head up off the stock just a little bit, which means it really needs to be lower (like a 1.5 Larue mount) which means the FSB will be even more of a problem.

-Finally, while playing around with the TA33 my dogs started having a fit about 9:30 pm, I figured it was another dog walking by or one of the cows in the pasture across the road based on the way they were barking. So I went outside to investigate with a unloaded rifle and the TA33 mounted. I apparently surprised the dogs when I came out since they immediately started excitedly barking at me, I swung the rifle in their direction instinctively and hit the light (I really like my light setup). Their kennel is about 25 yards or so from my front door. I got caught up in the excitement and there was a moment of extreme panic because I couldn't get see the reticule or my dogs just an indistinct blur and movement. I immediately lowered the rifle down and noticed it was just my blonde lab bouncing up and down excitedly like he does when he thinks I am going to let him out. Once I calmed down and concentrated I could see the reticule fine, maybe I could train that out but that moment of panic really stuck in my mind. But that is one of the big uses for my rifle, figuring out what my dogs are barking at in the middle of the night. So that pretty much killed the deal for me along with the other things above.

Most of my experience over the last 30+ years of shooting has been 75% shotgun, 15% pistol and only about 10% rifle. Most of the rifle shooting has been with open sights from Crossman BB guns to Marlin Lever actions on up to AR's/AK's/M1A’s. I have used magnified optics but generally only for very specialized applications, not general use. Most of those specialized applications revolve around stationary targets like paper targets, crows or ground hogs in a field or very small targets that aren’t moving very fast at 75 to 150 yards (muskrats on a lake). Most of my dynamic shooting with a long gun, like crows, rabbits, dove, coyotes, skeet are taken with weapons without magnified optics, so that makes me most comfortable with a 1x view. I spend most of my time/money training with my G19 since most of the time, if I am armed, that is what I will have with me, the other shooting is incidental to other hobbies and not specific training.

I believe that I would be better off getting an optic that will fit what I DO with my rifle versus trying to PLAN for an eventuality that hopefully will never come. I think I am better off having an optic that I am intimately familiar with that is not ideal for the situation rather than an ideal optic that I don't run as well because of lack of familiarity. It also keeps me from chasing the next best thing.

I think someone who has Folding BUIS and who has more experience with magnified optics and is willing to spend the time and money to train out any issue they have with it would really, really like it.

Caveat Emptor. I am not tactical at all. I don’t have any military or LE experience. My competition experience involves a single GSSF match that I placed 11th in (I would have placed 5th without that procedural for getting carried away and shooting too many poppers). I have taken one pistol training class with a not very well respected trainer. I am basically a Fudd with SHTF delusions who likes guns. So take my advice with that in mind.

I hope this might be valuable to someone looking at the TA33 themselves.

Grat review. I always learn a bit when someone who actually uses their rifle just talks factually about how they use the rifle and under what conditions.

For example, it never occurred to me until reading your post that someone would have trouble with the front sight post through a TA33 because I shoot nose-to-charging handle and don't ever notice it; but now that you mention it, I can recall as I was trying to take pictures of a TA11 reticle that as you back off from the scope, you can see a tiny little front sight post clearly in the lower part of the scope.

Crow Hunter

It really only bothered me in direct sunlight.

It wasn't too bad indoors or dawn/dusk conditions.

I have tried shooting NTCH, and it just doesn't work for me. I always migrate about an inch back.

It does help when shooting with a suppressor though. I don't have the black gunpowder streak up my nose and watery eyes. :D