T/C Icon ....Purchased

bigbird34

Hi Folks,I went to the local gunshow the other day with a Ruger M77 RL in 30-06 and an Older Savage 110E in .243 cal.....came home with a Brand Spanking New T/C in 30 TC :DI have done a lot of reading on this gun ,and as I am getting older light weight is the thing I want ,and it's not to often I purchase new guns,generally used firearms is what I buy....so now I need ammo for this rifle any good places to buy up about 100 rounds of 150 grain ammo ???? and I need to put a scope on her ,any recommendations ??? TIA BB34

Scorch

Congratulations on the new rifle.

Hornady loads the 30 TC, so find a Hornady dealer near you or have someone with a FFL order it for you.

UniversalFrost

so find a Hornady dealer near you or have someone with a FFL order it for you
Scorch, you don't need an FFL to order ammo.

I would go to midwayusa and get all the items you need (dies, bullets, etc....) plus you could get a box or two of loaded ammo to compare to your handloads.

right now midway has both 150 and 165 gr hornady factory loads for this at 23 bucks per 20

Here is the link

Last edited:

polarnewfie

Hornady uses a proprietary powder that roll your own guys cant duplicate. It is a blended powder that they guard like the "Colonel's secret of 11 herbs and spices".
Any attempt to reload a .30 TC will fall short of the mark. They probably wont make the powder available to the public for a long time if ever. Maybe only if sales of the guns start to lag significantly. (which I think might happen if they only offer 2 bullet weights).
I talked to a Hornady rep about the .30 and he said that no commercially available powders can match the burn rate and velocity that their "secret powder" can produce. Re-loaders will inevitably try to load their rounds too hot to hit the advertised 3000 f/s of the 150 gr loads. He advised me to not even try this, or any warranty will be null and void. Oh well, I guess I will wait to see if the powder comes on the market.

bigbird34

Icon

I believe you are correct,on the powder,but If I reload ,and I loose a couple hundred feet per second ....I won't be missing much .....I could have bought the .308(to normal) ....I didn't want the .243 ...and now they offer the gun chambed 22-250( to small) ....I wanted to stay with a 30 caliber bullet (as I have boxes of these little darlings ready to reload)....and as with my 338-06 ammo prices keep rising at alarming rates ($60.00 a box at Midway).....For me the idea was to buy this gun as an investment ,shoot it a bit at paper ,and then back in the safe ,b/c where I hunt it to nice a rifle to watch it bounce off of rocks .....thats where the composite stocked guns come into play ....my main hunting rifles are the 338-06 wthby,the 7mm rem mag Sendero,and a SIG SHR in 06....

BTW I just got a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40mm off of Ebay for under $400.00:D ....now I think this scope will go on the weatherby and the Burris 2-7 will go on the T/C Icon....or something like that ! See Ya BB34

taylorce1

BB34 you should really consider getting into the hand loading game. I have the .338-06 as well and I would not pay that much for ammunition for it. You have enough rifles to justify it as well when you have as many calibers as you do the equipment pays for itself very quickly.

BTW I'd love to see pictures as well of your new Icon.

bigbird34

Hand loading

I have been loading for over 25 years,I can load anything that I have dies for ....many friends rely on me to keep them accurate ....I'm gonna buy 100 30 TC ,I'm just lokking for a good source ...(I have contacts) right now I have just completed pushing snow around .....the Zeiss is now paid for :D
The T/C Icon was paid for by trading in two older guns for one New gun....:D

I have a 284 Winchester I need to go fire for a friend made by Brown percission ....6.5 pound gun with a Leupold scope on it (very light) my friend has been wanting a 284 Win for 21 years in a bolt action,this one just happened to fall in my lap.....my friend is a couple of states away ....so i'm doing the leg work for him :D:D:D

Pi'c of tthe T/c will be coming Caution :wear shades ,as she is purdy !

BB34

taylorce1

Sorry I misunderstood your previous post. All the TC Icon's I've seen have been beautiful, I think you got a keeper there. The .30 TC just isn't a caliber I'm interested in yet.

bigbird34

Pic's

284Win088.jpg

284Win087.jpg

284Win086.jpg

284Win085.jpg

284Win084.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/bigbird34/284Win083.jpg

More in next post....

bigbird34

More

284Win083.jpg

Now since we are human and never satisified with what we have,and always trying to build a better "mouse trap" From L.To R.
338-06 Asquare brass,30-06,30 T/C,.308 win,and a 284 Win.

The 30 T/C is just a bit shorter than the .308,the 30 T/C uses a 30 caliber bullet just like the 30-06 and .308....The 30-06 was excepted into the military in "06"(it's 102 years old now),the military wanted a shorter lighter round that performed like the "06" so the .308 was developed (1952),it could go almost as fast as the "06",because of the improvements in the propellant ....plus you could now build a lighter gun (M14 I believe) in a shorter action .....now Hornandy and T/C state the 30 T/C with a 150 grain bullet will travel faster than a 308,and 100FPS faster than and 06,do to propellant and rifling used ....

The 284 Win was developed to have the same power as a 270/280 win ,but in a short action ....the model 88 Lever action win,and the model 100 win autoloader ....the rifles had some issues with loading this cartridge and the cartridge never really causght on,but now custom gun manufacturers are building Ultra light guns and using this caliber to get the accuracy and performance they desire out of a super light gun...

This is your history lesson for today....Test on Friday :eek:BB34

DSCF2642.jpg