T/C Encore Rifle Questions.

riverwalker76

I just bought a new T/C Encore rifle, and had a few questions for those of you who own these types of rifles.

First off, if I want to change to a pistol caliber and configuration, do I only need to buy the pistol grip, barrel and fore end? Then convert it from a carbine/rifle to a pistol?

Is that how it works, or do I need the pistol frame for pistol calibers?

I know this sounds silly, but it's an honest question. I never thought to ask the dealer before I purchased it.

Thanks.

Doyle

That is a HUGE can of worms that you have opened. Mechanically, there is no difference at all between an Encore rifle frame and a pistol frame. The problem is the legality. The feds say it is illegal to convert a rifle to a pistol. However, there is nothing outside of the 4473 that shows whether the frame was sold as a pistol or a rifle. There is no serial number difference. One comming off the assembly line gets fitted with a stock and sold as a rifle and the next one comming off gets fitted with a grip and sold as a pistol.

Then, to confuse things even further, T/C sells many of them as "bare receivers" with no stocks or grips at all. This whole thing has caused endless debate within the Encore community. There is one Supreme Court case that sheds some light, but that was about converting a T/C contender from a pistol to a carbine if I recall correctly.

Bottom line is you will have to decide for yourself. I'm not saying what I do. :D

taylorce1

It is technically a "no-no" to change a rifle to a pistol. I bought an Encore pistol and changed it to a rifle and back to a pistol again. What I can tell you is never get caught with the rifle buttstock on and a barrel shorter than 16" on the frame.

There aren't very many pistol calibers barrels for the Encore you would have been better off with a Contender. The Encore was designed to withstand higher pressures so most of your pistol barrels come in what are usually rifle cartridges. The Contender has the larger selection of traditional pistol chambering. If you want a pistol cartridge you'll have to look at custom barrels for the most part for you Encore.

Pahoo

Settled Law, perhaps ???

My understanding is that this went to court and was settled, long ago. It was determined that a Gangsta was unlikely to make this conversion on a Contender or Encore. I do know that the case was about the Contender. ... ;)

Now, this question keeps coming up, from time to time and the best advice that I can give you, is to contact TC direct as they have been asked this question many times and are in the best postion to provide the correct answer. :confused:
Please come back and give us an update based on what they said .... :)

Be Safe !!!

tulsamal

My understanding is that this went to court and was settled, long ago.

Sadly.... that's not true!

When I bought my Encore, I got the pistol version "on purpose." It would be legal for me to "convert" my pistol into a rifle. The legal problem area is the next step. It is legal to convert a handgun to a rifle. But not a rifle to a handgun. So _according to ATF_ if I change mine to a rifle, I have to leave it that way!

It's a tangled spider web and don't expect any real legal "clarification" from the alphabet boys. As was said above, the number one thing is to be sure what you have on the firearm at any one time. It's tempting to put a stock on there and a really handy 10-15" barrel but not cool enough to make up for prison! It's the same with all my AR-15's. I keep the rifle and pistol stuff divided up.

Gregg

riverwalker76

I'm going to contact TC and see what they have to say about the subject. Stay tuned.

However, I will say that, in this case, the rules that have been designed to protect us have ended up being cluttered with so much red tape that it is ridiculous.

Again, I'll keep you posted on what they say.

riverwalker76

Spoke to both TC, and my local law enforcement.

TC said that there is no laws that would prevent me from transforming my rifle into a pistol and back into a rifle when I chose to. "This is why we made them convertible" was the Reps exact words.

My local Law Enforcement said the same thing.

They did, however, make sure that I stayed within the legal 'barrel length' parameters.

Any barrel that is attached that is below 16" must be in the pistol grip configuration. In other words, I could not have a 15" 500 S&W Magnum barrel attached to the frame, and have a rifle stock on it. For a 15" barrel I would have to have the pistol grip installed. However, I could have a 16" or above barrel attached with the pistol grip installed. Just not the other way around.

Make sense?

riverwalker76

Well, from what I have read, several ATF sources can't make up their mind on it either. I spoke to 2 different ATF agents at 2 different offices yesterday afternoon, and both of them told me that 'they' wouldn't have a problem with it. I never could get them to give me an 'official' ATF policy on the subject. It appears, from my standpoint, that the ATF is similar to most government entities. No one can agree entirely on the right way to go about something. No offense meant. It's simply confusing when I can't get a straight answer from the one organization that should have ALL of the answers. :D It's almost as if, until they are ready to go after someone for something, the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Pahoo

Above and Beyond

riverwalker76
I salute you for doing your homework to the extent that you have. Primarily due to all the confusing information you have recieved on this subject. By my measure, the question has been answered and only supports what I have done and will continue to do. I would guess that it is your call at this point and understand that you are a good citizen trying to do the right thing. .. :cool:

An old freind of mine, once said; Be careful when you ask a question as the answer will likely be a NO.
Glad to see that this time, the answer seems to lean towards a YES ... ;)

Thank you for your post and follow-up. ...... :)

Be Safe !!!