T c encore in 30/06

mrt949

A friend of mine has a Encore in 30/06 setup with 16.5 " and 24 "
Has anyone fired one
MY OLD BONES WON'T TRY IT .

Doyle

I also had a 24". Why would you think that is hard to shoot? Now, the 16" would likely be bad for muzzle blast but it shouldn't recoil much more (just a small amount due to the lower weight of a 16" bbl vs 24").

taylorce1

They can be particular to things riding bags on a bench, but most I've been around are accurate once you learn them. I'd not be very interested in a 16" .30-06, but a 24" would make a nice rifle. I pretty much just leave mine as a ML these days, but I really miss my .375 JDJ barrel. That's one I wish I had held on to.

Pahoo

Yes, Yes and Yes

A friend of mine has a Encore in 30/06 setup with 16.5 " and 24 "
Has anyone fired one
MY OLD BONES WON'T TRY IT .

Yes, on both and suspect that the 16", came off a pistol or bought as an after-market as they are interchangeable.
MY OLD BONES WON'T TRY IT
Yes , again and you will definitely feel it, even if you to to standard load and add padding. ..... :rolleyes:

It's Like what the Monkey making love to a Skunk, said; I've had enough of this for one day !!!

Be Safe !!!

NoSecondBest

I have an Encore rifle and just recently got a 358 Win barrel for it. Doing load development I’ve had a couple of days shooting 40 rounds out of it. I’m well into “geezer” territory and I’m not feeling any pain at all shooting it. I have the Flex Tech stock on it, and I’m wondering if that might make some difference? I just don’t think it’s especially difficult to shoot. I’m shooting bullets from 180g up through 250g.

gemihur

Just got back from sighting in a 270 Encore.
Been shooting contenders for over 20 yrs.
This is some kinda recoil!
I know I'm gonna have a bruise.
Standing while shooting, not bad.
But on the bench, it is not fun
Short barrels are for short brass, an '06 needs 24" IMHO

Pahoo

Recoil and Torque !!!

I know I'm gonna have a bruise.
By any chance, did you notice your hand being torqued when you shot? Depending on the rifling, Mine torqued clockwise from the back. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!!

44 AMP

Staff
suspect that the 16", came off a pistol or bought as an after-market as they are interchangeable.

A 16" barrel could be aftermarket, or it could have come off a TC carbine, or even be a TC rifle barrel someone had shortened, but it didn't come off a TC pistol.

To avoid legal hassle with the ATF TC didn't put 16" barrels on their pistols (contender or Encore) they put 15" barrels on their "pistols" and 16" (and up) on "rifles"

Not that it mattered a lot in the end, TC spent years in court fighting the ATF over the whole rifle to a pistol configuration and back to a rifle thing. ATF didn't care if you turned your rifle into a pistol, but if you only shortened the barrel and kept the stock, OR if you wanted to turn that pistol back into the rifle it once was, they demanded you buy their permission (tax stamp and all that goes with it). Eventually, as I understand it, the ATF lost that case.

The real problem with an Encore .30-06 with a 16" barrel (besides from the ballistic inefficiency of the short barrel) is that it is a light single shot rifle. SO, at .30-06 levels, its going to KICK!. More than some folks want.

Also how the stock fits you (not me) makes a difference too! A bigger difference than many realize. So, basically what you've got in a 16" .30-06 Encore is a short, light rifle that will carry and handle like a dream, and bash the snot out of you when you pull the trigger, delivering the speed of a 22" .300 Savage and the recoil of a .30-06 in a featherweight rifle.

Will kill deer, elk and anything else that walks here, but there's no free lunch, and one way or another, you pay for what you get.