Sylvan Arms Gen 3 Folder misfires

USAF Ret

I installed a Gen 3 folder on a 300 AAC rifle. I took it to the range today and was getting misfires about every 5-6 rounds. I had to rerack the slide and was able to fire the round. For those who have installed a folder, is this an issue that is common? Is there anything on the rifle I need to check to make sure the round is going into battery and the firing pin is getting full contact? Thanks.

USAF Ret

Were there any issues before the folder was installed? Same ammo?
No issues at all and same ammo. Only difference was the folder and a brass catcher. I am going to shoot without that and also cleaned the rifle and it was absolutely nasty. The AIIC ammo runs dirty.

44 AMP

Staff
Could be several different things to blame, Including crud in the action keeping the carrier from going all the way shut.

You say misfires, so I assume the hammer fell but the round didn't go off, Rechambering the round allowed firing, yes??

IF this happens again, take a moment and look at the primer to see if the firing pin strike looked normal, or not.

IF the folder or the brass catcher were dragging on the carrier slowing it down enough to cause failure to fully lock and cause a misfire, I would expect it more often than every 5-6 rounds, but perhaps not...

Good Luck with resolving your issues.

USAF Ret

Could be several different things to blame, Including crud in the action keeping the carrier from going all the way shut.

You say misfires, so I assume the hammer fell but the round didn't go off, Rechambering the round allowed firing, yes??

IF this happens again, take a moment and look at the primer to see if the firing pin strike looked normal, or not.

IF the folder or the brass catcher were dragging on the carrier slowing it down enough to cause failure to fully lock and cause a misfire, I would expect it more often than every 5-6 rounds, but perhaps not...

Testing again today. I will be looking at those things. Thanks.

USAF Ret

Tested today. Interesting results.

10 Hornady Black - No malfunctions
10 Sierra TGK - 3 Malfunctions
10 Ammo Inc - 7 malfunctions (I think these primers have a harder surface)

These are light primer strikes. I switched magazines and it did not fix the issue. Thinking it is not the folder since one malfunction on the Ammo Inc was the initial round. I had to rerun into battery twice and then got a round downrange.

Prior to heading out, the rifle was thoroughly cleaned with Gun Scrubber then added a light coat of Hornady Hot Shot.

I think I am going to install the lower on my 223 to see if I have any issues and install the 300 on another lower as well. I think it could be something with the firing pin or BCG. So, I may switch that out as well with the nickel boron I have in my custom AR.

USAF Ret

I also ordered a weighted buffer that I can adjust as suggested by taylorce1. Offset the weight of the buffer for the weight of the insert.

rickyrick

The only thing I can think of that would cause FTF from adding a folding adapter is that something is preventing the BCG from going fully into battery.

However, I have no experience with the folder.

I would proceed with caution.

My first instinct is to tell you to return the rifle back to its original configuration and try it out.
Inspect the roll pin on the bolt and make sure it hasn’t worked out a little bit. I had tha happen once and it was causing FTFs.

USAF Ret

The only thing I can think of that would cause FTF from adding a folding adapter is that something is preventing the BCG from going fully into battery.

However, I have no experience with the folder.

I would proceed with caution.

My first instinct is to tell you to return the rifle back to its original configuration and try it out.
Inspect the roll pin on the bolt and make sure it hasn’t worked out a little bit. I had tha happen once and it was causing FTFs.
Testing on another upper today to see if it causes the same issue. One think I did notice is that the insert had a much tighter fit into the 5.56 upper I am testing today.

USAF Ret

So, the lower works fine on my 5.56. The 300 BO works fine on another lower. Talked to my gunsmith and he suggested a heavier hammer spring for the 300. Cheap troubleshooting, so going to give that a try before I start messing with the buffer.

If the gun was filthy, did you do a detail-cleaning or just an overall Gun Scrubber hose down? I may be overly compulsive, but in your shoes, I would have the bolt and trigger group parts all in an ultrasonic cleaner or at least a long soak in Ed's Red or another powder solvent.

USAF Ret

Well, definitely the folder. Same thing happened when I mated it up to a 5.56. I am going to install it on another lower. The buffer tube on this one is longer as it is an AP enhanced. Not sure it will make a difference, but eliminating everything before I ask for a replacement.

rickyrick

If it were me I’d abandon the idea, sounds like prime territory for an out-of-battery fire. From previous posts, it seems to me that the device is not allowing the bolt to be pushed completely into battery l, and the fact that you are getting strikes on the primer gives me the willies.

Of course, this is only my opinion based on the information on hand.

USAF Ret

If it were me I’d abandon the idea, sounds like prime territory for an out-of-battery fire. From previous posts, it seems to me that the device is not allowing the bolt to be pushed completely into battery l, and the fact that you are getting strikes on the primer gives me the willies.

Of course, this is only my opinion based on the information on hand.
I agree. I was looking around today and I think If I do go the folder route, I will get a side charger.

taylorce1

@USAF Ret, how is a side charger going to improve functionality? Like I said I have no experience with folding stock AR style rifles. I never cared for the idea since it leaves the buffer tube open to catch trash. A folder on an AK or M1A seems like a better idea, since all the moving parts are forward of the buttstock.

I know Brownell's sells a bolt carrier (ARIC) that allows the AR to be fired from a folded position. I just haven't done any research into them. I do know that ARIC and folder parts cost more than a complete budget AR-15.

Last edited:

USAF Ret

@USAF Ret, how is a side charger going to improve functionality? Like I said I have no experience with folding stock AR style rifles. I never cared for the idea since it leaves the buffer tube open to catch trash. A folder on an AK or M1A seems like a better idea, since all the moving parts are forward of the buttstock.

I know Brownell's sells a bolt carrier (ARIC) that allows the AR to be fired from a folded position. I just haven't done any research into them. I do know that ARIC and folder parts cost more than a complete budget AR-15.
I would love to get a side charger. The new PSA one would be perfect, but between a rifle build and cerakote jobs, I am going to be short on funds for a good while.

I did send pics to Sylvan and they said it looked like it did not properly seat all the way in. I ended up stripping the threads on it getting it off. That was on me. Anyway, I sent them pics and the story and they are sending me a new on, no charge. That is some good customer service.

USAF Ret

So, I literally got my new folder several days later. I had bought a Gen 2 and they sent me a Gen 3. I think with the adjustments they recommended, it should work out good. I am having an upper built, 16" pinned and welded, and it is going through final testing. I will be installing the folder on my lower for that. I expect it will work well for a truck gun.