SxS Suggestions?

pipoman

I want to buy a nice sxs this spring. I have looked at the Red Label, Weatherby, Browning and some others. I like to shoot some rocks occasionally and would not be hunting with it. I am interested in quality/fit and finish over bling. I tend to like the English grip over the pistol. I would like to stay in the $1-2K area. I want to hold all of my options before making my decision. Any suggestions?

Hal

Any suggestions?

Suggestions on brand - no. (except to say that CZ also has a nice SXS)
General comment on fit - yes.

I have 2 SxS 12 ga coach guns. One is a Rossi hammer gun and the other a Stoeger box lock. The Stoeger doesn't fit me as well as the Rossi. As a concequence, it has a felt recoil something akin to being kicked by a mule. The Rossi is a better fit, and as a result, it's far more comfortable to shoot.

kudu

Although the Beretta Silver Hawk is a bit more than your budget, you might look into one, may be worth the extra money. I have yet to see a Gold Label shottie. There are some Weatherbys that are about your price range as well.

It is hard to find a fine SxS shottie for less than $2000. You can find nice ones but not fine ones. It's all in what you are willing to spend.

K80Geoff

Get a couple of issues of Double Gun Journal and do some research.

Some of the Spanish guns are really nice.

pipoman

It is hard to find a fine SxS shottie for less than $2000. You can find nice ones but not fine ones.

I thought I may be able to get closer to a fine SxS if I get a field grade version. Again fine quality without the bling is really what I like. I have considered looking for one of the older blued Red Labels. I don't know what constitutes a "fine" gun unless it is a combination of quality manufacturing and high level of decoration.

I will look at the Beretta.

Waterengineer

De Haan

If you want something a little different that not everyone else will have - look at De Haan Shotguns - easily within your budget.

Turkish but made to order so some quality control. Field grade and then as fancy as you want:scroll work, wood, whatever.

I have a case hardened 28 ga. SxS - sweet swingin' on doves and quail.

You can read about the De Haan over at the Shotgunworld.con website.

Also look around for a Fausti (Tradition Arms) - also something a little different.

Wildalaska

Pipo ya want a nice one check out the Marlin LC Smiths, which of course yours truly will sell you at the chapest price anywhere leaving you extra $$ for shells:)

WildwhatagunslutAlaska

Dave R

Why SXS and not O/U? For twin triggers? Ah, there are the best thing about a double. I believe CZ?? makes an O/U with twin triggers at an affordable price. Called the Ringneck, I believe.