SXS Straight Grip Or Pistol Grip Wood Stock???

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Well I been perusin' (window shoppin') the site okie posted...

I have my choice of a straight grip or pistol grip configuration...

I really love the look of a straight grip stock but I have only shot one gun with it in my life and that was grampa's mdl. 94 winchester rifle.

Since I am vastly more experienced with the traditional pistol grip, would I find a severe difference in arm angle that might require a new learnin' phase?

The gun will be used for huntin'... From squirrels in the tree tops and rabbits on the ground with bird shot up to but not limited to deer and hogs with slugs.

What do ya'll dirt dove shooters prefer?

Brent

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
It's partly fashion, but we see few straight grips in the hands of dedicated clay shooters. Of course, we see few SxS guns there anyway.

Here's my take. A curved PG goes better with a large forend, a straight one with a splinter. Gene Hill said that kept the hands close to the same line and the bore axis with the straight grip and similar offsets with the other.

There's been a few straight/splinter equipped SxS shotguns in my history. All of them were good birding tools and moved like Zorro's Rapier.

I have also had some curved grip/bigger forend shotguns that were also capable of making me look like I knew what I was doing, and I tend to do
better at clays with these.

I have one bird shooter with an "English" grip. It's a worked over 870 Express in 20 gauge. It does the job despite my tendency to over muscle it.

In your case, Brent, you may want to stock it as much like your Mossberg as possible. After all, it's worked for you all this time....

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Yeah Dave, That is my reason to even make the thread...

Not only my M-500 but every single gun ('cept the mdl. 94) was similar pistol grip. I will be using a splinter foregrip so I may decide to try the straight grip too. Time will tell. I will own it a while before buying...

Brent

SHNOMIDO

the straight grip looks snazzy, i love it, but youll probably be better served with a pistol grip.

If you're buying the gun to add to the collection, get the straight grip. It will set it apart from your other pieces and be fun.

If you're trying to seriously compete and dont want to blow money on something that has the potential to hold you back or irritate you, go with what your familiar with.

Unless my needs change my next shotgun will be a straight grip browning BPS with the shortest barrel i can get. I love the looks and lines of that shotgun. If i get more into trap ill probably get something else before it.

Antique Shooter

I would go with the straight grip. It just looks better on side by sides. I think that the straight grips are a bit more comfortable to. Glad to see other people still like side by sides!

Antique Shooter

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
This is a chopped down 5100 Stevens... barrels are 20". It is not for display nor competition against shooters... Just a different gun to shoot supper at the "Organic Meat Market" in the woods.

I am going to go hold a couple straight grips at the gun store. If it don't feel "off", I will go with it for the handsome looks of a splinter fore stock and straight grip... It ain't gotta be my only meat gun and the mossberg will stay the primary HD gun...

So heck... this short gun will be my ideal perception of a REAL coach gun.

I was askin' of the dirt disc shooters as I know if the inherent handicap of a design exists... they will skip it for a design more natural to performance.

Brent

OkieCruffler

Well you've already given yourself my advice. Find one and see how it feels. I love the look, had a 20ga I set up with an English stock, even paid for a wood upgrade. It was snazzy looking indeed. Hated the way it felt. Only saving grace was I doubled my money on the stock and gun by the time it was over.

Doyle

Brent, here is what makes the difference: Does the gun have a single trigger or double? Straight grips are generally preferred for double trigger models because you can slide your hand forward or backwards to hit the other trigger without changing the "shape" of your grip.

oneounceload

Brent - double triggers are generally easier to shoot with the straight "English" style stock as it allows your hand to slide ever so slightly as you move to use the other trigger - My main SxS 20 has the English and DT - I am a LH shooter - it took me about 5 shots to get used to it - I passed on a lot of SxS with DT over the years because of one bad experience as a kid pulling both trigger at once - I have missed out on some great deals over that time.

Pistol grips can come in several configurations - a relaxed version, also called the Prince of Wales and typically it comes with a rounded knob, your basic pistol grip and a severe one that has a lot of curve t it for a tight, almost 1911 feel to it. One thing, each pistol grip can mean a different LOP to make it feel comfortable.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Brent, you might want to check out my old thread on "Buildng A Lupara".

Last time I talked to the cousin who now has it, it has accounted for a lot of rabbits. He's a Beagler. And it guards his Cosa.

Was another GP SxS in the making, it's certain it would have a straight grip, more than one trigger, splinter forend,etc. I might, given shortened barrels like yours, hollow out the stock to move the balance point towards the muzzle.

HTH.....

TheKlawMan

From what I have read, like oneounce said the straight grip allows sliding the hand back and forth to pull double triggers. That's the Pro. The con is if you have a single trigger you don't want your hand to be slipping but to be in the same spot.

oneounceload

The other thing a typical English stock will do is force you to move your arm out and not hold ther gun underneath - which is a bad position for trying to swing the gun. If you look up the old English shooters they advocate a LONG forward arm and the trigger arm to be out - a lot like a chicken wing - to allow for maximum movement and "swingability"

Their method takes a little getting used to, but it works

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Well... Looks more and more like I am going to "put some english" on it...

If there is a slight new learnin' curve, It will be worth having the good looks!

So what recoil pad to look at?

This super light weight gun kicks like a single shot 28" 12 gauge... Makes junior's NEF 20 feel like a .22lr...

Brent

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Hmm, on this the Olde English Pachmyer ought to look good, and provide a fair amount of recoil reduction.

The Kickeez solid pads and the Limbsavers may possibly be better, it's a close call.

The Limbsaver prefit on the B gun is great, and so was the Kickeez Magnum I had on the 870 TB trap gun I used before the B gun.

Figure out the LOP needed and how much wood you have, then get the one whose thickness gives you what you need.

OkieCruffler

I'd go Limbsaver. If you're getting it from gun stocks they can install and cut to what ever LOP you want and they do an excellent job.