Switching rear sights on Glocks

tjhands

Hi. Is it easy to switch the plastic rear sight on a newer Glock? Do they slide out or what? Any special tools? Thanks! :)

Super38

Glock sells a special tool for removal and replacement of the rear sights. Is it absolutly necessary? My local gunsmith thinks so. I think those tools are about $100.00 or so.

tjhands

Oh, bloody great. The plastic rear sight from Glock is $3.85 and the tool to change it with is a hundred bucks. Just great. :(

Zekewolf

The MGW Glock rear sight tool handles both large and small-framed Glocks and costs only around $60. The Glock factory tool is specific to frame size and costs too much.

You don't need a sight pusher, unless you're installing a steel rear sight with a hard press fit. You can easily remove and install the flimsy, cheap plastic sight with a wooden dowel and small hammer.

tjhands

Thanks guys.

Zeke, yes it's just the cheap plastic rear from Glock that I want to remove and install. Right now I have the 6.9mm rear, but it shoots too high at 25 yards. I want to switch to the next size down, the 6.5mm. It's the same cheap plastic and costs only $3.85.

So all I need is a wooden dowel and small hammer to swap them?

Zekewolf

Yep, small hammer and wooden dowel. Just drive the old sight out and drive the new sight in. You can go from either way, as the dovetail is symmetrical.