Switch from Unique to Trailboss?

IrvJr

Hey All,

I reload for my revolvers and currently use mostly Unique. I have some plinking loads with Unique that are very accurate from my guns. I also have a couple of hotter loads for my Super Blackhawk and my Ruger Blackhawk (.44 mag and .45 colt respectively).

The one thing that I dislike about Unique powder is that it takes forever to meter out the powder accurately. I measure my Unique loads because it fluctuates so widely with each throw of the handle of my powder dispenser.

I mostly reload low volume (50 to 100 rounds per session) but I am thinking about switching from Unique to Trailboss for my plinking and target loads because I've heard that Trailboss meters much more consistently.

Would Trailboss be a good substitute for Unique? I mostly only load plinking types of loads... I'd like to shoot more often and I think the easier metering of the Trailboss powder would be a great help.

Thanks!

mikejonestkd

Trail boss is an excellent powder for plinking loads in both the 44 mag and 45 colt.
I find it meters much better than Unique through my lee auto disk measure and my lee PPM.

Use with confidence!

AL45

I use Trail Boss with 250 grain bullets in my Blackhawk .45 Colt when I want low recoil loads. I have found them to be very accurate as well.

ghbucky01

Trail Boss meters great.

Only supposed to be for lead bullets though. Considering you want it for plinking that should work out well.

Nick_C_S

Unique isn't the best metering powder. That's for sure. And it's the most coarse of the ones I use.

That said, I think it meters plenty accurate though my RCBS Uniflow. I seriously doubt it varies more than 1/10th. I have the small cylinder/drum assembly and I think that helps.

I just don't have metering problems; and it never fails to perplex me when I read of loaders experiencing metering problems.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546668

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

I can't speak for Trail Boss because I've never used it. I'm sure it's fine powder though.

But I would find it very difficult to forsake Unique - especially on account of metering problems. I'd sooner buy a new hopper to address the real issue.

I'm really fond of it with medium power 158 LSWC's through 357 Mag. And it's right at home with medium-high power 125g JHP's. Sees lots of duty with 230g bullets of all types for 45ACP too.

Burns nice and clean - as long as it's not underloaded, of course.

It's just good stuff.

mineralman55

Trail Boss

TB is a very good choice for plinking but because of the grain shape, you need to keep an eagle eye on it. If using it in a Uniflo type of powder meter with a long extension tube underneath the measure, make sure the TB does not bridge inside at the bushing that contacts the case mouth. That has happened to me several times especially in humid weather.

USMC 77-81

Unique meters well through my RCBS Uniflow, certainly better than Bullseye and rifle powders. I also like how clean it burns. Haven't used any Trailboss so I can't comment on difference.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Trail Boss meters great.

Only supposed to be for lead bullets though. Considering you want it for plinking that should work out well.

This is no longer true, hasn't been for quite some time actually. IMR says that the same formula for Trail Boss loads can be used for all cartridges with all bullets.

Data can be found at Hodgdon's Load Center but there's also a simple formula if they don't list data.

Fill the case to the base if the seated bullet. That's max load. Do not compress (unless they publish specific load data that allows it). Use loads from 70% up to that 100%.

I've use Trail Boss with jacketed bullets in .204Ruger, .243Win (and AI), 7mm-08, .357mag and .357sig.

rclark

Can't add much as Brian covers it. I've done a lot of testing with it. Just don't expect Unique velocities with it as TB is a much faster burning powder. For example in .44mag I like 8.0g under 240g bullet which is around 900fps out of 6 1/2" barrel. With Unique I like 10g which gives me ~1100fps. One thing nice about TB is it fills the case nicely, so an under and over charge is very easy to see. In .45 Colt I like 7.5g under 250g-255g bullet for around 800fps. I don't know why, but in .45 colt, TB liked the Magnum primer. Back to back tests showed ES of 73 for regular (21 shot sample) and 34 for magnum (30 shot sample) and WLP was in the middle with 50 (28 shot sample). Go figure. YMMV obviously!

Unique meters well enough for me too in my Hornady measure. I use the large insert (supposed for larger loads than handgun) and the large dropper (has a bigger hole ... ie, what you put the case up against when you drop a powder charge).

NoSecondBest

I have TB but personally like Unique much better. It meters OK for me with no problems. I can't believe not even one person mentioned that a "pound" of TB is actually only 9 oz. of powder in a 1lb sized bottle.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
No one mentioned it because it doesn't matter.

You use 5.3gr or so for a max load of Trail Boss (125gr .357mag), versus 9.6gr for Unique. That means 743 loads with TB and 729 loads with Unique.

In 44mag 200gr, you use about 7.7gr of TB versus 12.4gr Unique. That means 511 loads with TB and 564 with Unique.

No more difference there than there typically is between any other two powders. Some loads benefit one powder economically, some the other, but the difference is a lot less than the 9oz versus 16oz would suggest.

MR_X

Nosecondbest,

Don't know if you have ever opened a can of TB but you can't fit a lb in it. At 9oz the can is pretty full.

I love TB for competition shooting. The soft recoil makes it easy for fast target aquisition. My kids love it as they can shoot my 45 with it. I use it with Xtreme plated bullets with no issues.

NoSecondBest

Nosecondbest,

Don't know if you have ever opened a can of TB but you can't fit a lb in it. At 9oz the can is pretty full.

I love TB for competition shooting. The soft recoil makes it easy for fast target aquisition. My kids love it as they can shoot my 45 with it. I use it with Xtreme plated bullets with no issues.

I've got a half can sitting on my loading bench where it's sat for over a year. I tried it and it didn't do much for me. I haven't "discovered" the attraction yet. I've only been doing this for around 45 years now so maybe there's still time to learn to like it. FWIW: nine oz. is still 9 oz. You can't compare powders simply based on how many shots you get out of the can or everyone would be shooting bullseye.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
You can't compare powders simply based on how many shots you get out of the can or everyone would be shooting bullseye.

Of course you can't, but it's no more valid to compare weight per can as the sole criteria either.

There are considerations of case fill, metering, cost per pound, cost per load, maximum power, versatility, cleanliness and I'm sure many more.

You might also notice that while Trail Boss comes in a 9oz can, it also only costs $12.60, where Unique costs $16. (From Powder Valley)

rclark

. I haven't "discovered" the attraction yet.
To tell you the truth, never have I really.... I experimented with it because was a new powder. Kick its wheels so to speak as there wasn't much data out there on it. It is however, a super beginners powder as you just can't goof up with it as long as you follow the simple rule of not compressing it. A double load will overflow the case and you definitely can see when you have under loaded it.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Trail Boss is phenomenal for reduced rifle loads. It turns my .204Ruger into a nearly silent .22mag. It literally sounds like a cork gun. My 15" Encore Pro Hunter chambered in 7mm-08 is an absolute blast to shoot with it.

It's great for fire-forming cases.

It's the cleanest burning powder I've ever seen. (Although I've only used about 10 different powders.)

It's great for reduced handgun loads and as a black powder replacement (which was it's original purpose).

Kevin Rohrer

I have always used Unique for all my low and medium velocity handgun loads, but am switching to Longshot. It meters a bit better and is cleaner.